Halò à Glaschu!

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
Force 9 Gael
Language Level: beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Halò à Glaschu!

Unread post by Force 9 Gael »

Tha tìdser ceòl a th' annam agus ceòladair cuideachd. Tha mi a' fuireach ann an Mount Florida, Glaschu. (please feel free to correct - that's why I'm here!)

Ciamar a tha shibh?

Fionnlagh

Màiri na Coille
Language Level: Beagan ach a fas nas fhearr

Re: Halò à Glaschu!

Unread post by Màiri na Coille »

Fàilte dhan Fhòram, Fhionnlaigh! Cuin' a thòisich thu Gàidhlig a dh'ionnsachadh?

Welcome to the Forum, Finlay! When did you start learning Gaelic?
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Now, there's a concept - Mount Florida! Has the local station got a Gaelic sign up yet? We recently got a rather boring one at Burntisland - "An t-Eilean Loisgte" - which seems far too literal for my liking. No doubt we'll soon see "Cardenden as "Gleann Chàr-ghleann" or something...I digress.

Muso - nothing to do with the band "Gael Force", perchance? Anyway, a music teacher: probably the most common word for "teacher" in Gaelic these days is "tidsear", though you could also have the likes of "oide" (tutor - but that might be more appropriate for some aspects of music teaching) or "neach teagaisg". As for a "music teacher", note that, in English, the word "music" is treat like an adjective: in Gaelic, if you wanted to do that, you'd really have to find a word meaning something like "musical" or whatever. What is meant in English is "a teacher of music", or "music's teacher". An in Gaelic you should really say that, i.e. "tidsear ciùil", not "tidsear ceòl". Yes, Gaelic, like English, does actually have a Genitive Case: should make life easier, but because modern English usage often dispenses with the genitive, it doesn't. If you come at Gaelic from the standpoint of English, that is.

Oh aye - "Ciamar a tha sibh?" - no H after the S - you'll get used to the fact that S before I (or E for that matter) is always pronounced "sh" in Gaelic - and that when you actually see "sh" written in Gaelic, it isn't "sh" at all that you hear, but either nothing or an "h" sound.

Fàilte dhan fhòram! (and that could be written in at least one other way)

I always thought Florida was quite flat...
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort! :)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam