Is mise

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
ngonyama
Language Level: a little bit
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Is mise

Unread post by ngonyama »

Is mise Jaap Folmer agus is mise Duitseach ach tha mi a fuireach anns an Carolina a Tuath.

Tha mi ag ionnsachadh beagan agus tha mi ag iarraidh sgrìobhadh rudeigin do gd.wiktionary. [https://gd.wiktionary.org/wiki/S%C3%B2n ... /Gunmhoine Seall]. Ach chan eil fhìos agam briathran gu tric.

That will have to do for my first attempt in this difficult language. Please do correct if you wish. I hope to get some help with appropriate linguistic terms. I am adding mostly Dutch language items. I doubt that there is such a thing as a Dutch-Gàidhlig dictionary. My real reason for dabbling in this language is that I am singer and I'd like to sing some songs in it, without slaughtering your language too much. :naire:

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: Is mise

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort! :D

I haven't seen a Dutch-Gaelic dictionary so far. There is a really good English-Gaelic dictionary you can use, your English seems to be good http://www.faclair.com/ Please be extra careful when you make Gaelic entries and double-check everything, because you're not a fluent speaker yet - people will copy and use any mistakes you might make.

Seo beagan cheartachaidhean dhut:

Is mise Jaap Folmer agus 's e Duitseach a th' annam ach tha mi a' fuireach ann an Carolina a Tuath.

Tha mi ag ionnsachadh beagan agus tha mi ag iarraidh rudeigin a sgrìobhadh do gd.wiktionary. Ach chan eil mi eòlach air na briathran gu tric.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by Mairead »

Fàilte! I love that you're committing to learning the language behind the music. The Gaelic musical tradition is really special! :)
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Fàilte bhuamsa cuideachd! :D

Welcome from me too!
ngonyama

Moràn taing!

I was trying to find some terms online about my own field (chemistry) but that is really hard. I would appreciate correction of the following items (mostly conjectures or single mentions somewhere)

Atomic mass - tomad atamach
(electron) configuration - comh-dhealbhadh?
ionization energy - lùth idheonachaidh
oxidation states - coir ogsaideachaidh
electronegativity - ?? (eileactra-àicheachd?) (Irish has leictridhiúltacht)
atomic radius - ??
symbol - samhla
periodic table - clàr ùineach
period -ùine
group (column in this table) - buidheann
chemical properties - Buadhan cheimigeacha
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Your best source for searching that would be http://www.faclair.com/, then stick it together with appropriate grammar. There might not be terms available for everything. The storlann people might also have some terminology, or you could ask the Gaelic schools' chemistry teachers.

Buadhan cheimigeacha - you are using Irish grammar ehre, in Scottish Gaelic this would be buadhan ceimigeach
Na dealbhan agam
ngonyama

Sorry, but the reason I post here is that such terms cannot be found in am Faclair Beag. And that is true for a lot of science topics. I just ran across blàth-fhuileach on gd.wiki. (https://gd.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eun) That would be warmblooded, I suppose, but it only scores 5 hits with google. And none in the online dictionaries or word lists. I cannot find its antonym (fuar-fhuileach?) at all.

But thanks for the grammar correction. That I did it the Irish way is totally by coincidence I'm afraid...
Seonaidh

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Chan eil mòran anns na tha thu air sgrìobhadh a tha fìor Bheurla! "Electron configuration"? "Atomic radius"? Agus tha thu a' smaointinn gum bi deagh Ghàidhlig ann don fheadhainn! Chan eil mi cinnteach idir idir gum bi.
GunChleoc
Rianaire

The problem is that Gaelic has been locked out of the scientific discourse for centuries, so we have yet to create a lot of new terms. The Faclair Beag is your best bet to find them. If they aren't there, you can ask the Gaelic schools if they have any. If not, you will have to construct the terms from their components, using a combination of Scottish Gaelic grammar rules, anal retentive dictionary work and common sense. There is no easier solution I'm afraid.

For example, for atomic radius, you get atamach and rèideas, which will make your term "rèideas atamach".
Na dealbhan agam