Is mise Ceitidh

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
CeitidhR
Language Level: Just learning
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Is mise Ceitidh

Unread post by CeitidhR »

Hello,
I am in the Bay Area of California and am just starting to put serious effort in to learning the Gàidhlig after a few years of only learning the basic greetings, etc. I have been using online courses and the Teach Yourself Gaelic book/CDs.

Next month, I will be making my fourth trip to Scotland, but my first to the Western Isles where I hope to have enough nerve to try and speak Gàidhlig out loud to strangers who are fluent. I am still most likely only going to get as far as pleasantries and ordering drink and food, but I'll be happy if I do that even passably well.

I'll be asking for some help, but on other threads. I look forward to getting to share words and experience with you all.

Tioraidh an-dràsda!

CeitidhR
scottishheart.net
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Re: Is mise Ceitidh

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort! :)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Fàilte bhuamsa cuideachd!

Turas math dhut! - Bon voyage!

Look out for shops etc where they have sign sayng Gaelic spoken, or try it out on people you hear speaking Gaelic at bus stops etc, or go to Gaelic church services if you come across any, as unfortunately not everyone speaks Gaelic even in the Western Isles any more (incomers, parents not passing it, etc etc). But use what you can wherever you can! :D
LilithNoor
Language Level: neach-tòiseachaidh

Unread post by LilithNoor »

Fàilte a Cheitidh.

'S toigh leam na h-Eileanan Iar, tha iad uabhasach brèagha.

I think you're in for a wonderful trip, just beware of the meanbh-cuileige, the midges!
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by Mairead »

Fàilte, a Cheitidh! Càite a bheil thu a' fuireach ann an California? Bha mo bràthar-athar a' fuireach ann an Pleasanton agus tha caraidean agam ann am Mountain View. :)

Welcome, Ceitidh! Where do you live in California? My uncle lived in Pleasanton and I have friends in Mountain View.
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.