Halò a Oklahoma!

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
Jack Robertson
Language Level: Beginner
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Halò a Oklahoma!

Unread post by Jack Robertson »

Is mise Jack. Tha mi ag ionnsachaadh gaidhig a Oklahoma.
That is all I got. Learning gaelic in Oklahoma where no one speaks it is difficult undertaking. However a group of about 25 of us are taking the plunge. Glad there is a place we can go for help.

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Halò a Oklahoma!

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort!

Learning Gaelic far away from the nearest teacher is possible, Luchag Bochd is doing it :)

You could also look into Skype courses with the Gaelic Atlantic Academy or phone courses with Sabhal Mòr Ostaig. Check out the "Goireasan" section on the hompepage for more learning resources.

I recommend that you concentrate on the sounds in the beginning, a lot of the orthography and grammar is sound-based.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Halò a Oklahoma!

Unread post by faoileag »

Fàilte! :D

If there are 25 of you, you should be able to get a teacher or school to take you on, e.g. via Skype. Or you could club together and pay for a teacher to come to you for a weekend course (in 2 groups). Or did you mean you are already in some kind of class? Maybe this one?

This Study Group Meets every Monday from 7:00 pm – 8:55 pm in Midwest City (a suburb of Oklahoma City) at the Midwest City Public Library, 8143 East Reno Avenue, Midwest City, OK. The first 30 – 40 minutes are devoted to beginners with the advanced students meeting from that time until 8:55. Additional study time on Saturdays from 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm happens at the instructor’s house. Materials used include Hugo, Scottish Gaelic in Three Months and the Speaking Our Language audio and video tapes. There is no charge for the sessions, but students are expected to furnish supplies.Contact:
Barry Acker bearachanseo@yahoo.com
828 SE 38th Street
Moore, OK 73160-7716
405–793–0974

I got it from the course list published by the ACGA: http://www.acgamerica.org/learn/classes/

Otherwise sign up for an existing distance course (as per the links from Gun Chleoc) - they work really well - you get used to them very quickly.
Jack Robertson
Language Level: Beginner
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Halò a Oklahoma!

Unread post by Jack Robertson »

My group of 25 is separate from that group. However, now that we know this group exists we will be in contact. Thanks for the information!