Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
MacAonghais
Language Level: Beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Hello

Unread post by MacAonghais »

Hi,

Thought I'd say hello.

I came looking for Gaelic course material for self study and noticed some useful links. I was also hoping to find a community which is also supportive of learners, and it appears I found it :)

I've been playing with the idea of learning Gaelic since I was an adult, but never got passed what I remember from watching "Dòtaman" as a child, of which almost 100% has been long forgotten.

Now that I live abroad and speak German, I thought I'd go back to my roots and stop playing with the idea and just do it.

A few days ago I ordered "Scottish Gaelic in Twelve Weeks", does anyone have any experience with this course? Was it a good purchase?

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Hello

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort!

I'm not familiar with the book, so I can't comment on that.

If your German is good enough, I can recommend the book by Michael Klevenhaus. These is also a German-language learners' community.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
MacAonghais

Hello

Tapadh leibh GunChleoc.

Although I am fluent in German, English is my mother tongue, so I think learning Gaelic from a foreign language, which I've only been speaking for 10 years, will confuse me too much :D

However, my wife is a native German speaker, and also wants to learn Gaelic with me, so this is definitely a good recommendation for her.
faoileag
Maor

Hello

Unread post by faoileag »

Halò agus fàilte!

There is a Skype Beginners course for German learners of Gaelic, using the book Gun Chleoc mentioned , which I see has literally just started - your wife may be interested, even if you aren't:

http://www.schottisch-gaelisch.de/Fernkurs.html

If you have been in Germany for 10 years, you may find you are actually also OK to do it via German, as I (as a Scot who has school German) find the book extremely clear and thorough.
MacAonghais

Hello

Halò faoileag,

Interesting that you say that you could follow from German. I also had German as a subject in a Scottish School, but I actually didn't learn anything of any use :? It wasn't until I moved from Scotland that I was forced to learn it.

I think my wife will get this book anyway, so I will have a look through it then. I think I have a fear of learning a foreign language from a foreign language, but we will see :)

I received the "Scottish Gaelic in Twelve Weeks" book and CDs yesterday, so far I am enjoying this.

I go back to Scotland every year but it's not enough to speak Gaelic in the areas I visit so rarely, so as for the Skype course, this is most certainly something I will do once I have a few weeks of practice and some vocab behind me, and obviously once my wife has ordered the book :)

Have you also done this Skype course?
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Hello

Unread post by GunChleoc »

You could use the book to help you understand the grammar stuff, but still use a Gaelic - English dictionary :)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam