Halò

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
~Sìle~
Language Level: Intermediate
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Halò

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

Halò. Is mise Sìle.

Unfortunately, that is the extent of my Ghàidhlig, though I am hoping that will change shortly. I am currently trying to locate a tutor/teacher in the SE London/Kent area, so if anyone knows of someone who would fit the bill, please PM me.

I was going to undertake an evening course in central London, but my hours of work were changed one month before the course started, so I was left cold. I am desperate to learn Ghàidhlig, as I am planning to move to the Highlands in a few years time and I am endeavouring to learn as much as I can about the people, culture and language. I was original born in Australia, but emigrated to England in the mid 90s. However, it was another ten years before I visisted Scotland and fell in love with the place, even though there is no familial connection that I can discern (I am descended from Irish/English stock).

I am sure I will be calling on these boards quite regularly and I hope to get to know everyone.

Cheers,
NicÒgan :D

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte ort, a Shìle :D

If you're looking for online material to get you started, visit the links in the "Gràmair, Faclairean is Cùrsaichean" section on the bottom of each page.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
~Sìle~

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

Thank you GunChleoc. I have several online resources, but only have access to the internet from work, so not exactly suitable. :naire:
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire
Language Level: Fileanta
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Coinneach Cìr »

Fàilte oirbh a Shìle! :)

I can thoroughly recommend the whole teach yourself series, especially the original book available with cassettes or a CD you can buy separately on this page. Not dirt cheap but worth it.
I'm also very fond of the dictionary but the conversation course has only recently been published so I'm not sure of its value yet but confident it will be of an equally high standard.
https://lsh507.securepod.com/gaelicbooks.org/merchantmanager/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=teach+yourself&x=0&y=0
http://www.gaelicbooks.org/
~Sìle~

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

Yes, I have the Teach Yourself and the Colloquiall course. The TY Conversational is on my wishlist. :D I also have the Eurotalk for when I'm on my own at work, but the sound quality is poor indeed for an interactive DVD. :?
chris-1961
Language Level: beginner - intermediate

Re: Halò

Unread post by chris-1961 »

NicÒgan wrote:Halò. Is mise Sìle.

Unfortunately, that is the extent of my Ghàidhlig, though I am hoping that will change shortly. I am currently trying to locate a tutor/teacher in the SE London/Kent area, so if anyone knows of someone who would fit the bill, please PM me.

I was going to undertake an evening course in central London, but my hours of work were changed one month before the course started, so I was left cold. I am desperate to learn Ghàidhlig, as I am planning to move to the Highlands in a few years time and I am endeavouring to learn as much as I can about the people, culture and language. I was original born in Australia, but emigrated to England in the mid 90s. However, it was another ten years before I visisted Scotland and fell in love with the place, even though there is no familial connection that I can discern (I am descended from Irish/English stock).

I am sure I will be calling on these boards quite regularly and I hope to get to know everyone.

Cheers,
NicÒgan :D
Halò Sìle. Fàilte oirbh gu Fòram na Gàidhlig. :D

'S mise Crìsdean agus tha mi a fuireach ann an Penicuik, Alba.

Hello Sheila. Welcome to the forum.

My name is Christopher and I live in Penicuik, Scotland.

I, like you, am a learner of Gàidhlig and am currently doing a college course to improve my knowledge of the language.

I hope that yoou enjoy being on here and most, if not all on here, will help you as they helped me in the past.

Mar sin leat an-dràsta. :grian:
~Sìle~

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

Halò Chris and thank you for the welcome. I joined this forum in the hope of gaining support. I just wish I could understand what everyone is saying. :lol: All in good time, I suppose. :D
chris-1961
Language Level: beginner - intermediate

Unread post by chris-1961 »

NicÒgan wrote:Halò Chris and thank you for the welcome. I joined this forum in the hope of gaining support. I just wish I could understand what everyone is saying. :lol: All in good time, I suppose. :D
Halò a Shìle. :D I hope you enjoy being on the forum as much as I do.

I am really learning from people on here apart from the course I am currently doing. My tutor is really pleased with my progress so far and I have an assessment in the next few weeks and an exam at the end of it all.

One thing I can recommend when you're learning as i am, if you have Sky TV, watch a programme on BBC Alba called " Learning Our Language " at 19:30 Monday - Thursday - Sky Channel 168.

I really hope this will give you a bit more background learning of Gàidhlig and listening to the pronunciation can also help you.

Cheers for now.

Mar sin leat an-dràsta. :D
~Sìle~

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

chris-1961 wrote:One thing I can recommend when you're learning as i am, if you have Sky TV, watch a programme on BBC Alba called "Learning Our Language " at 19:30 Monday - Thursday - Sky Channel 168.
Halò Chris and thanks for the welcome.

I don't have Sky, I'm afraid. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that BBC decide to release it on Freeview. :D I've heard Learning our Language recommended before. I can also see the benefit of watching a channel broadcast in Ghàidhlig ~ quicker absorption rate. :priob:
GunChleoc
Rianaire

NicÒgan wrote:Halò Chris and thank you for the welcome. I joined this forum in the hope of gaining support. I just wish I could understand what everyone is saying. :lol: All in good time, I suppose. :D
As a beginner I think the place for you is the Dà-chànanach section, where people usually tr*nsl*t* what they have written. Take it one sentence at a time, and the tr*nsl*t**n will help you check if you figured it out correctly.

Doing a little every day is better than a lot once in a while.
Na dealbhan agam
~Sìle~

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

GunChleoc wrote:tr*nsl*****
Thanks, but what's the deal with the stars instead of letters? :?: :?

Edited to add: Never mind, found the thread in the Gràmar is Gnàths
board explaining all. :naire:
GunChleoc
Rianaire

:D
Na dealbhan agam
*Alasdair*
Language Level: Gu math siubhalachd

Unread post by *Alasdair* »

Hàlo agus fàilte oirbh!
Tha e cho math a fhaicinn duine ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig!
Uill, tha mise dìreach ag ionnsachadh cuideachd, ach tha mi fhathast toilichte nuair a fhaic mi duine ag ionnsachadh.
Thòiseach mi Ghàidhlig ionnsachadh an-uiridh agus a-nis tha mi aig Sabhal Mòr Ostaig a' dèanamh ceum sa' Ghàidhlig :)

Chleachd mi "Teach Yourself Gaelic", "Colloquial Scots Gaelic" agus stuth air loìn nuair a dh'ionnsachadh mi a' Ghàidhlig.

Tha mi 'n gum bi thu toilichte leis a' Ghàidhlig agus gum nì thu fìor mhath!
Hi and welcome!
It's so good to see people learning event hough i'm a learner it still makes me happy!
I started learning last year and now i'm doing a degree in Gaelic at SMO.

I used TYG and CSG and stuff on line when i was learning.

I hope you will be happy with Gaelic and that you will do excelently!
~Sìle~

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

Hàlo Alasdair. Tapadh leabh ...

... for the warm welcome.

I would love to do a degree in Ghàidhlig eventually. The fact you managed this in under a year is amazing. :D
*Alasdair*
Language Level: Gu math siubhalachd

Unread post by *Alasdair* »

NicÒgan wrote:Hàlo Alasdair. Tapadh leabh ...

... for the warm welcome.

I would love to do a degree in Gàidhlig eventually. The fact you managed this in under a year is amazing. :D
Gàidhlig without the H unless you are saying "the Gaelic" which is a' Ghàidhlig.

Yeah, it took some doing to get here but it is so worth it! Just work away a bit every day and you'll be doing great in no time!