Lowlanders

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Lowlanders

Unread post by Mairead »

I've got a question about terminology regarding other parts of Scotland from the POV of the Gàidhealtachd. Does the term 'Lowlander' (or its Gaelic equivalent) only get applied to people from the Lowlands, or could it also be applied to people from Orkney and Shetland as well? In my understanding the term generally applies to the eastern half of Scotland but I don't know whether the Northern Isles could be included under that label.

I ask because I'm looking at a song written by a fishing girl who got pregnant when she was at the herring gutting in Stronsay, and (singing in English) she warns other girls to never trust a Lowlander. I'm trying to figure out whether it's implied that the man was from the Lowlands but up in Stronsay just for the fishing, or whether the term 'Lowlander' could also mean he was actually from Orkney.

I'm also curious in general about where the Gaels consider the non-Gaelic-speaking Northern Isles to fall in the Highland/Lowland divide.

Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Lowlanders

Unread post by GunChleoc »

This is actually a pretty complicated subject. Highlands/Lowlands doesn't mean the same as Gàidhealtachd/Galltachd, since any Gaelic speaking community would be a Gàidhealtachd, but matter where it is. And of course, there are a lot of Gaels who didn't lean the language from their parents, so you can't simply say anybody who doesn't speak Gaelic is a Gall... Traditionally, I would say anybody who isn't part of a Gaelic community would have been considered a Gall.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam