Leniting M at the beginning of an initialism

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
Droigheann
Language Level: meadhanach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by Droigheann »

This is probably of miniature importance, but it's been bugging me for a few days as I can't see any solution ...

I know that in Gaelic one spells as in English, i.e. /eɪ, bi:, si:, di:, .../, and that many initialisms keep the English form, but even in such cases this is lenited when appropriate, i.e. "am BBC" -> "air a' BhBC", which I presume is pronounced /ɛrʲ ə vi: bi: si:/.

But what if the initialism begins with an M - /ɛm/? How would you pronounce e.g. "sa MhIT"? /sa vi: aɪ ti:/? /sa ɛv aɪ ti:/? /sa ɛm eɪtʃ aɪ ti:/? Somehow neither seems 'correct' ...

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Well, it wouldn't be sa MhIT as MIT is a definite noun phrase so it would be ann an MIT 8-)

There is no hard rule about this. Mostly people would avoid lenition is such a case i.e. instead of do MhIT you'd end up with dha MIT. If someone did write do MhIT and someone else HAD to read it, most like they'd expand MIT i.e. do Mhassachusetts Institute of Technology.

Acronyms on the whole don't work well in Gaelic and are much less common.
Droigheann
Language Level: meadhanach

Unread post by Droigheann »

Thanks! Good to know that for once the avoidance strategy one tends to as a leaner would be used by fluent speakers too. :)
akerbeltz wrote: Well, it wouldn't be sa MhIT as MIT is a definite noun phrase so it would be ann an MIT 8-)
Funny, some googling suggests it tends to be "the Massachusetts Institute of Technology" but "the MIT", but I've never been there and this is a Gaelic forum, so I'll let it be. :priob:
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

As there is an 'of' in the title, there would be no first article in Gaelic (Genitive chain rule: only last noun in phrase can have article and be in Genitive), so regardless of the presence or absence of the initial article in English, it would probably have none in Gaelic.

Having said that, I'd probably instinctively Gaelicise it insofar as I'd say/write ann am MIT (am replaces an before bfmp).
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Having said that, I'd probably instinctively Gaelicise it insofar as I'd say/write ann am MIT (am replaces an before bfmp).
Ah but that opens the can of worms about whether is IS indeed /m/ initial, because you say "em eye tee" :priob:
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

In writing at least... can't overcome my trained instincts! 8-)
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Well, pronunciation tops letters - you don't say "an unit" in English but "a unit" - unlike "apple" in "an apple", "unit" does not start with a vowel when you say it. It's a common learner's mistake though, isn't it? ;)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam