How do I add accents to my posts?

A bheil trioblaid agad le bathar bog an fhòram seo. Ciamar a chuireas mi sràcan ann? Gheibh thu freagairt dhan a h-uile càil ann a sheo. /
Trouble with the forum software? How do I add accents? All will be answered here.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

How do I add accents to my posts?

Unread post by GunChleoc »

For all those who don't have accents on their keyboards, you can use the Ω button to add special characters.

Another option is to install a different keyboard layout, e.g. Irish, UK Extended or US International.

ETA: We don't have the Ω button any more, so you will have to copy/paste the special characters from the description in the header, or install a keyboard layout.

http://www.igaidhlig.net/en/category/accented-letters/ / http://www.igaidhlig.net/gd/category/na-stracan/
Last edited by GunChleoc on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

*Alasdair*
Language Level: Gu math siubhalachd
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by *Alasdair* »

You can also use "Alt + *Number*"

Step 1: Make sure "Num lock" is on.
Step 2: Hold down "Alt"
Step 3: Use the numbers on the "Number pad" (On right of keyboard)
Step 4: The codes:-

0192 - À
0224 - à
0200 - È
0232 - è
0204 - Ì
0236 - ì
0210 - Ò
0242 - ò
0217 - Ù
0249 - ù

So: Num lock, Alt, Code = Letter.
Stìophan

Unread post by Stìophan »

For Mac users like myself:

alt + ` + vowel (lower case)
alt + ` + shift + vowel (upper case)

For old school (i.e. é and ó) and Gaeilge speakers replace ` with e.
Stìophan

Unread post by Stìophan »

GunChleoc wrote:I have taken out the shlash option because it messes up the links. Backslash is still working though. I'll get this back as soon as I figure it out how to make PHP do what I want :roll:
Unless typing Irish, you shouldn't need the slash (acute accent) as it has been disposed of in modern Gaelic. 8)
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Nìall Beag uses it to help with his pronunciation, and we do have an Irish speaker on board ;)

Anyway, it's working now :D
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Yup. When I caught myself saying mòran, I figured it was time to stop writing mòran. I've been using both accents ever since. As an academic (part-time) and a pedagogue, and a learner of Gaelic, I loathe and detest the Exam Board for their incomprehensible, arbitrary and complete unexplained decisions.
Tearlach61
Maor

Unread post by Tearlach61 »

I just got a laptop computer and it seems the old way I have been using to generate accents (example 'alt+0024'=à) only works if you have a number pad.

Does anyone know how to generate them without a numpad?

Chuck
GunChleoc
Rianaire

My laptop has a numberpad overlaid over the normal keyboard, and you can switch it back and forth. Quite a pain in the butt to use it though.

The easiest way to go would to install an additional keyboard layout for another language that has the accents. e.g. my German keyboard has them. Then you can switch between the keyboard languages.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Gaidheal

Accents from a standard keyboard

Unread post by Gaidheal »

Under Microsoft Windows, British users should change keyboard to "UK English Extended". This will allow you to get all the accented vowels for both Irish and modern Gàidhlig (and thus older spellings for Gàidhlig too) as follows:

á to ú is Left-CTRL+Left-ALT+a to Left-CTRL+Left-ALT+u,

or

ALT-GR (green on many)+a to ALT-GR+u.

Á to Ú is SHIFT+Left-CTRL+Left-ALT+a to SHIFT+Left-CTRL+Left-ALT+u

or

SHIFT+ALT-GR+a to SHIFT+ALT-GR+u

This can be quite a feat of dexterity (and works on standard US and UK keyboards too, incidentally) but is effective, ironically it is easier to get grave accents, as below:

(with the extended keyboard set as default and confirmed or else selected as the current keyboard if you want to keep the standard UK and switch via language bar or whatever)

press the ` key, nothing will show on screen, then press the vowel you want accented and you will get that vowel with a grave accent on it.

"`" followed by a to "`" followed by u gives à to ù.

There is also a "US International" layout, for those whose English keyboard follows the American pattern. This one will also allow you to post umlaut vowels with " followed by the vowel, as well as accute accents with ' followed by a vowel. :¬)

P.S. If you want a ` or " (with the US International layout) on its own you simply press space, no space will be posted but the character will be or else you press anyother character which cannot be accented and it will post the character immediately followed by the second character; e.g. "`" immediately followed by "r" gives: `r
Tearlach61
Maor

Unread post by Tearlach61 »

A Ghaidheil, That works really well, just did it. Thanks. Chuck
Rù-ra

Re: Accents from a standard keyboard

Unread post by Rù-ra »

Gaidheal wrote:Under Microsoft Windows, British users should change keyboard to "UK English Extended".
Gu math feumail, a Ghaidheil. Ceud taing.
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire
Language Level: Fileanta

Unread post by Coinneach Cìr »

I have my keyboard layout set to English (Irish). This means I can get grave accents by pressing the key on the top left with 3 symbols on it to the left of the '1' key followed by the vowel.
ÀÈÌÒÙ àèìòù
I can therefore access the accented letters I use most often with just 2 keystrokes.
For upward accents (on the odd occasion I type Irish or am quoting from text that does not follow current Gaelic orthographic conventions) I press and hold down the 'Ctrl' & 'Alt' keys while typing the vowel.
áéíóú ÁÉÍÓÚ
If you normally use an English (UK) keyboard layout the rest of your typing will not be affected by changing to the Irish layout. Oh yeah I should have said that this information related to M$ Windows, I'm planning to install Linux on one of my computers in the near future so I may be back looking for advice :)
GunChleoc
Rianaire

It's been a long time since I fiddled around with Linux. You will most certainly want to have an x-windows system running, and current distributions usually have a set of keyboard layouts available. You will need to set up one during the configuration process. You can also create your own individual keymap. I don't have any more details - as I said, it's been a while - but it might help you get started on finding out how it works.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Coinneach Cìr
Rianaire
Language Level: Fileanta

Unread post by Coinneach Cìr »

Mòran taing GC.
deardron

Unread post by deardron »

I sometimes go to the Shetland forum where they seem to have found a good solution for missing letters and signs - they've placed a button bar where you find all of them, so if your keyboard doesn't support this or that sign, you can just press the corresponding button:

It seems that their forum is based on the same software as this one, so if you're interested I can ask them how they've made it.