English -> Gaelic t*ns Help "... for family"

Thèid a h-uile iarrtais eadar-theangachaidh air imrich a-bhos an-seo. Ma bhios thu seachd sgìth dhaibh, na rach ann an-seo.
Akravator
Language Level: Nil

English -> Gaelic t*ns Help "... for family"

Unread post by Akravator »

Hello everyone,

My knowledge of Scottish Gaelic is unfortunately nil - but I'm trying to figure out how to say 'for family' in Gaelic.

The context should akin to the following:

"For honour, for pride, for family."

I've tried browsing the internet to identify how this might be said but the closest thing I could find was the phrase "airson an teaghlaich" which I believe is "for the family".

However, as per my context, I would really prefer to avoid usage of the article "the", but am not sure if I can simply cut out "an" from the "airson an teaghlaich" phrase without fundamentally changing the meaning.

I truly appreciate any help/suggestions you could provide!

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: English -> Gaelic t*ns Help "... for family"

Unread post by GunChleoc »

You need to keep the article in, because that's how Gaelic works.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Akravator

Oh I see.

The reason I'm looking to remove the article is because we have a limited amount of space to write all the characters.

Is there no alternative way to say "for family"? Or something of roughly equivalent meaning?

In either case, I truly appreciate the help GunChleoc!
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

If this phrase is appearing in isolation, there's no shortcut. Is there a larger (linguistic) context you can give us, eg a full sentence, a longer expression, to see if it can somehow be incorporated more economically?

Can you not just say 'Family'? (Honour, pride, family.)
=teaghlach
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Tha mi a' creidsinn gur e tatù a th' ann an seo. Mholainn a dh'Akravator seirbheis phroifeasanta a chleachdadh, an àite feuchainn ri rudeigin saor - agus gun a bhith earbsach - fhaighinn bho làraich lìon mar seo. Beachdan?
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Tha mi a' dol le Seonaidh.

Akravator,
I get the feeling that the limitation in space is the amount of skin on your upper arm. If so, I would really recommend not asking a bunch of learners on an amateur site, but getting a professional tr*nsl*t**n done.

You could try cainnt.co.uk or tricmedia.co.uk for starters, and you'll find that the tr*nsl*t**n will cost less than the inking.

The last thing you want to do is permanently etch a spelling mistake on your body.
Akravator

Haha, Niall Beag, don't worry it isn't for a t*tt** (at least as far as I know). I'm doing the research on behalf of a friend's request.

The links to those two professional services is much appreciated. Thank you everyone!