never forget hunger

Thèid a h-uile iarrtais eadar-theangachaidh air imrich a-bhos an-seo. Ma bhios thu seachd sgìth dhaibh, na rach ann an-seo.
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

neoni wrote:na diochuimhnich am faclair
'S toil leamsa sin! You naughty person Zero!

crow

Unread post by crow »

Do someone want to tr*nsl*t* it honestly, please???
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

You can trust akerbeltz. :D

http://www.akerbeltz.org/beagangaidhlig ... ramair.htm

You can't always trust neoni. 8-)
Though check out 'faclair' here:

http://www2.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/faclair/sbg/lorg.php

(scroll from 'Beurla' to 'Gàidhlig' and enter your word)
and you'll see it wasn't a bad answer! :P

We hard-thinking forum folks need a bit of entertainment, and we tend to get most of it from our resident comics when the words 't*ns******' and 'tat***' appear. :spors:
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

crow wrote:Did you learn speaking before writing? I think i should learn writing before, no?
As to listening and reading, I think it would be pretty hard to understand Gaelic spelling unless you study the sounds as well, so I suggest you do both at least at the same time.

As for speaking and writing, whatever is the right way for you. Writing certainly is easier to do when you're working long-distance with nobody to talk to, but you should try to find some opportunities to speak once in a while, and you should keep practicing the sounds in any case.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
crow

Unread post by crow »

faoileag wrote:
We hard-thinking forum folks need a bit of entertainment, and we tend to get most of it from our resident comics when the words 't*ns******' and 'tat***' appear. :spors:
i came here to know how to write a sentence (never forget hunger) correctly in gaelic because it's gonna be a t*tt**... so if someone gave me a bad answer, i'd like to know it. And maybe some gonna think that if i want a t*tt** in gaelic, I should know the language before.... i agree... but i want gaelic for many reasons that i don't have to explain...
I'm an honest person and i don't want to upset anybody or i don't know....
Is anybody can just tell me what this means:
"
na diochuimhnich am faclair

'S toil leamsa sin! You naughty person Zero!"

I'm sincere when i say that i want to learn, but i have to begin somewhere....

anyways... just don't want to bother anyone....
faoileag
Maor

I told you which was the correct answer ('trust akerbeltz') and I also told you where to find out what neoni had said, by giving you a very useful tool, i.e. a Gaelic/English online dictionary.

THAT part of my answer was what you wanted. (You seem to have ignored it.) The second part was an explanation for the joking.

So don't give up, read what you're told and learn a bit of Gaelic from it, for after the tat** if necessary. :D .

People have actually been amazingly helpful, given that this is a Gaelic learners support site, not a transl***** site.
crow

Unread post by crow »

I know you're helpfull and it is not a translater site...

tha mi duilich

thanks for the link, i get the joke :beachd:

So I'll go learn some gaelic grammar....
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask and try out the bits you've learned :D
Na dealbhan agam
Duncan MacCall

Unread post by Duncan MacCall »

faoileag wrote:We hard-thinking forum folks need a bit of entertainment, and we tend to get most of it from our resident comics when the words 't*ns******' and 'tat***' appear.
faoileag wrote:So don't give up, read what you're told and learn a bit of Gaelic from it, for after the tat** if necessary.
Probably one of the cases when one can't see the answer because it's quite obvious, but what does tat*** stand for? I'm thinking about it since Wednesday but seem unable to make it out... (while slowly beginning to understand why all those asterisks are used so regularly on this site in the other word :priob:)
GunChleoc
Rianaire

A tat*** is something you adorn your skin with - permanently. Rhymes with "taboo" :lol:
Na dealbhan agam
Duncan MacCall

And also rhymes with tourist industry... I'm probably beginning to see the light, but very slowly - how did neoni & faoileag know when crow only used the word after faoileag hinted at it? Is "never forget hunger" some phrase which makes it all too obvious? (*a' sgrìobadh mo cheann*)
crow

Unread post by crow »

I think it,s kind of think you become used to when you are regularly on a specific forum, you know wich word is censored... :priob:

But is tat-oo a bad thing or something? :o

I understand for t*ns-la-te, tough. :P
faoileag
Maor

crow wrote:I think it,s kind of think you become used to when you are regularly on a specific forum, you know wich word is censored... :priob:

But is tat-oo a bad thing or something? :o

I understand for t*ns-la-te, tough. :P

All sites like these, where you have a web congregation with Gaelic or Scottish or Irish or Celtic in the title, attract the attention of the seemingly equally large congregation of those wishing to adorn their poor unoffending skin with mottos in languages neither they nor their 'readers' understand, just because it looks cool or clever or mystical or whatever.

Only a few, like you, are actually interested in the language and the culture that goes along with it, and make some effort to learn it. Most parachute in, demand a tr*nsl*****, and are never seen again. If they get one, they don't even say thank you, but often question it, and if they don't get one, they get angry, as if it was their right to get one.

We tend to get very weary of such folk.

Some sites actually fade away because of them, like the Inverness Gaelic site. It ended up with little else on it but such requests.
Duncan MacCall

I see... This hasn't occurred to me, because people in my country usually go even further. I mean, for most of them it's "cool" enough if it's in English, French, Gaelic, whatever, as long as it isn't in the native tongue, and they don't give a damn about the tr***l*****. Not that I mind that - it's often real fun, watching what people are willing to tell the world by the means of, eg, their T-shirts, and to observe their reactions when I'm mischievous enough to disclose it to them! :priob:
crow

Unread post by crow »

Just to make it clear, i swear i o not want that t*tt** to be cool or something... really. I already had some tatoos on myself, it never was for beeing cool... everything about my life, things i want to remember (kind of obsessive with memories... :priob: )
Then i'm interest in gaelic because i'm passionated about Scotland history. It remebers me about first nation here, in Quebec, i'm a quarter native american (we said améridiens in french)... the celtic culture isn't far from "amériendien" culture... it interest me a lot. I'm a student in anthropology, so every human culture have something to give in knowledge, according to me...

But as i said, i have a lot to learn before beginning writing in gaelic, but i will. Maybe i won't be here often for the moment, but i hope being better soon.
I really understand your point of view about tr*nsl*t*ng, i agree.

so have a good nigth.