I don't know about meanings, but here's a correspondence list

Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Neas Olc wrote:Ha, tha an aon ainm ormsa! Chreid mi gu bheil "Ruairidh" a tighinn às "Roderick", a thàinig às "Theodoric"- chan eil mi cinnteach ciamar.
There's a big problem in determining the meaning of Gaelic names.

The practice of using one language as the official language of the register of births, deaths and marriages led to the need for English equivalents of all Gaelic names, even where there wasn't one.

This meant that big "correspondence lists" were drawn up with many incorrect etymologies and many consciously invented correspondences.

So the Viking name Ulric, Ualraig in Gaelic, is "Kennedy" in English. Why? Because the surname "MacUalraig" is the name of a sept of the Kennedy clan.

Furthermore, there's lots of names that etymological lists say means "mighty hero", "famous warrior" or "great ruler"; but in the end all this usually means is that there once was a mighty hero, famous warrior or great ruler who bore this name, and people named their kids after him making him more important than the original meaning.

My name, Nìall, is one of these. It's a really old Celtic name so there's next to no chance that anyone will ever work out the etymology, but I like to speculate that it is related to the name "Nil" in India. Well they do also have Kiran, so there seems to be some small thread of continuity between Sanskrit and Celtic names. Mere speculation though.
Seonaidh

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Toll-thrèicil - good as I can do.

Tha Farsi is Beurla glè fhaisg rin cèile - tha facal beurla airson "dona" no "droch" - 's e "bad" a th'ann - agus 's e an t-aon fhacal a th' ann am Farsi.

Sanscrit? ceithir => cattvara, còig => panca
Cuimris: ceithir => pedwar, còig => pump
(bha C san t-Sanscrit mar T sa Ghàidhlig ann an "teoclaid")
treaclemine
Language Level: Neach-toiseach

Unread post by treaclemine »

Thank you, all. My given name is of Latin origin, and isn't on the akerbeltz list. But I know the Latin meaning quite precisely, so I hoped there might be a Gaelic name with a similar meaning.
Seonaidh

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Don't tell me - "Mina Treacla"?

In Irish, I think "Eithne" is the equivalent of "Lucy".
IainDonnchaidh

Unread post by IainDonnchaidh »

Bha Clann Dhonnchaidh mèirlich mòr nan bò, nach eil ? :lol:

'S e seann obair uasal a tha'ann :P
Carinna-Rose
Language Level: Non existant

Re: Dè tha san ainm?/ What's in the name?

Unread post by Carinna-Rose »

Halò! ^_^ I am very interested in my Celtic roots and was wondering what my name, Carinna-Rose, is in Gàidhlig. If anyone can help me that would be grand. I dont know the language... but I want to learn :D
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Halò Carinna-Rose,

Fàilte! Welcome! :D

Great that you plan to learn Gaelic sometime. Lots of tips and links on here: http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/index.php?page=2

- and lots of people happy to help learners who want to try out stuff on the easy bilingual threads.

I can recommend the small free BBC online course Beag air Bheag: http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/foghlam/beag_air_bheag/

There is Gaelic being taught and used in Australia too - contact: http://www.ozgaelic.org/index.html

Or contact Alastair Bochd on this site. :priob:

Regarding your name, Carinna doesn't have a Gaelic equivalent, but the Gaelic for 'Rose' is 'Ròs' (the name of the flower - not commonly heard as a girl's name). You could always go for the very Gaelic name of Catrìona. :D

Tìoraidh an-dràsta! Bye for now!

faoileag
Carinna-Rose

Faoileag, Tapadh leat! [I hope that means thank you, Im still very bad at it =_=; lol]

Aw its a shame that my name cant be translated, but Catrìona looks pretty! ^_^ how do you pronounce it? ummm... ka-tree-oo-nah??

I will definitely check out the sites :) thx heaps! I appreciate the help. I heard there is a Celtic festival in my state, in Portarlington so I hope to go there sometime. I imagine it would be lots of fun! lol
bsuibhne
Language Level: Beginner

Unread post by bsuibhne »

I have seen "Róisín" as an Irish name quite a bit. I believe it means little rose.
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

That's a nice suggestion, if you have mixed Celtic roots: Catrìona-Róisín.

ka-TREE-onna ro-SHEEEN.
AlasdairBochd
Language Level: Fear-ionnsachaidh fad beatha

Unread post by AlasdairBochd »

Fàilte dhan fhòram a Charinna-Rose. Tha buidheann mhath ann am Melbourne.
Seo ceangal.
Welcome to the forum, Carinna-Rose. There's a good group in Meblourne.
Here's a link.

http://www.scottish-gaelic.org.au/
They're very friendly and have a very good choir also.
Carinna-Rose

Oh wow ^_____^ I dont think I have Irish roots exactly... My gradmother's family name is McPherson. I think she said they come from Laggan in the Highlands on her fathers side for lots of generations. And on her mothers side they come from Norway and Holy Island, Northumberland? But I dont know if thats Celtic... :? lol

Thanks for all the suggetions :D they are great! I am actually look for my artist signature to sign all my painting, at the moment they are blank because mothing felt right. I have an instant like for Catrìona when I saw it, and Róisín is pretty too! Tho I am not Irish so using that might be a bit fake, like taking something thats not mine? lol I dont know ^_^;

@AlasdairBochd: There's one in Melbourne?! thats even better! :D Thx for letting me know. I hope its not expensive.. TYG book might have to do for now haha.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte ort! :D

Welcome
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Unread post by Thrissel »

EDS, dè a' Ghàidhlig air Keith? The an làrach-lìn Akerbeltz ag ràdh , ach na Litrichean do Luchd-ionnsachaidh 618 & 619 a' cleachdadh Cèith. Agus an ann as coltaiche gum biodh fileantach san t-sreath a' bruidhinn mu m.e. Keith Brown, Cé/Cèith Brown no Cè MacIlleDhuinn?

BTW, what is the Gaelic for Keith? The Akerbeltz site says (I suppose [ke:]), but the Litrichean do Luchd-ionnsachaidh 618 & 619 use Cèith (I hear it as [k?:j]). And would an ordinary native speaker more probably talk about eg Keith ([ki:?]) Brown, Cé/Cèith Brown or Cè MacIlleDhuinn?