Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig

Sgrìobh 'sa Ghàidhlig is Beurla / Write in Gaelic and English
Forum rules
Sgrìobh a h-uile rud gu dà-chànanach / Write everything bilingually
treaclemine
Language Level: Neach-toiseach

Unread post by treaclemine »

Thrissel wrote:* because personally I prefer placenames differing as little as possible from the form used by people actually living at those places themselves, and I'm afraid I look as though I advocate something very different
Glè mhath!

Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Manchester - Lad. Mancunium, OC *Mankunion, ModW Manceinion, ModG Manchester, not Manchain. Welsh for manach is "mynach", manachainn is "mynachlog". It is thought that the first element in "Manchester" is cognate with Welsh "man" (place) and/or Irish "magh" (likewise, I think), as in "Machynlleth" (Cynlleth's place), "gwynfa" (paradise - white-place), "ymhobman" (everywhere, ann+gach+àite).

There is - unsurprisingly - a specific Manx word for "Liverpool", which I forget off-hand.
Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Unread post by Thrissel »

GunChleoc wrote:The worst thing of the kind I have seen so far are online phrase lists that mix Irish and Gaelic, because whoever put them up copied from I don't know where without understanding what they did.

My favourite phrase is "Slàinte bha!" :spors: :roll:
Four days later still makes me laugh, although I can imagine situations in which such a toast wouldn't be at all... oh well. :priob:
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

I googled it just our of curiosity
Toradh 1 - 10 á mu thuaiream 86 airson "slàinte bha" -"slàinte. -bha". (0.11 diogan)
86 pages :roll:
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
treaclemine
Language Level: Neach-toiseach

An toil leibh bladh Innseaneach?

Unread post by treaclemine »

Tha gu dearbh - 's toil mi bladh Innseaneach glè mhoràn.
IainDonnchaidh

Unread post by IainDonnchaidh »

Leugh mi rudeigin mu dheidhin cogadh na claidheamh. Bha iad ag ragh "bata" = bat/stick agus "bhata" = boat (bho oran "Fir a Bhàta") :roll:

I read something about swordfighting. They were saying "bata" means bat/stick and "bhata" means boat (they got that from the song title Fir a Bhàta) :roll:
AlasdairBochd
Language Level: Fear-ionnsachaidh fad beatha

Unread post by AlasdairBochd »

Be careful of the accent on the "a". It is vital. Bata (short "a")= stick, staff or cudgel and bàta ( long "a")= boat .

A very rough imitation would be the difference between batter and barter without pronouncing the "r".
IainDonnchaidh

Unread post by IainDonnchaidh »

AlasdairBochd wrote:Be careful of the accent on the "a". It is vital. Bata (short "a")= stick, staff or cudgel and bàta ( long "a")= boat .

A very rough imitation would be the difference between batter and barter without pronouncing the "r".
Yes, I know that. The point was that the author that I was reading did not. He thought the difference was the h :?
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

He obviously doesn't speak Gaelic and didn't ask :?
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam