A couple of "essays"

Sgrìobh 'sa Ghàidhlig is Beurla / Write in Gaelic and English
Forum rules
Sgrìobh a h-uile rud gu dà-chànanach / Write everything bilingually
jjb362
Language Level: Fluent

Re: A couple of "essays"

Unread post by jjb362 »

Just picked this up from Twitter, and there were on or two thing which struck me. The first thing is rugadh and thogadh. I would tend to write and say this "Am baile far an do rugadh mi agus far an do thogadh mi" - past passives, so the "do" gives the preterite - if you want to have a bit more variety about how you put that sentence, you could put the passive in two ways in it - Am baile far an do rugadh mi, agus far an deach mo thogail", creating the passive using the dependent past tense of the verb to go, "rach", which is entirely acceptable.

My own personal preference when you're saying that there are not many fishing boats now, would be to say "Chan eil moran bataichean-iasgaich ann". NOt sure that I can justify this - its just strikes me that gu leor is not right here.

FInally, I would see (as would Dwelly) the plural of long being longan.

Ach rinn thu gle mhath, agus chuir thu sios gach ni a bha thu airson a radh ann an Gaidhlig fhileanta agus air a deagh sgriobhadh. :-)

sr3nitygirl

Unread post by sr3nitygirl »

jjb,

Thanks for your suggestions. It's great to get tips on alternative ways of expressing things.
As a learner, I think sometimes it's easy to fall into the trap of applying things you learn to situations where that language element probably shouldn't be used, or should be modified a bit.

This is a good example, I learned the use of "Rugadh is thogadh mi ann an..." and I just applied that to "far an do rugadh is thogadh mi..." when perhaps, as you suggest, it should have been expressed differently.

Still, live and learn..

Plus, it helped me see I had in fact left "do" out... another silly mistake on my part as I know it should have been there!

But, wow I really have to do better at proof-reading my own stuff!!!!
Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Unread post by Thrissel »

jjb362 wrote:FInally, I would see (as would Dwelly) the plural of long being longan.
I initially misread it too, but the word in question is fleet (loingeas) rather than (long). I think that cabhlach is a more usual word for a fleet though.
Last edited by Thrissel on Sat May 12, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjb362

Unread post by jjb362 »

Thrissel wrote:
jjb362 wrote:FInally, I would see (as would Dwelly) the plural of long being longan.
I initially misread it too, but the word in question is fleet (loinges) rather than (long). I think that cabhlach is a more usual word for a fleet though.
Yes, I see what you mean. I think I would prefer cabhlach, but that may be my own lack of vocabulary working. If you use loingeas, I would see the plural as being loingis possibly?
jjb362

Unread post by jjb362 »

Stephanaidh - moran taing...cum ort!
Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Unread post by Thrissel »

jjb362 wrote:If you use loingeas, I would see the plural as being loingis possibly?
Maybe both - I found loingeasan in AFB, but it has only two Google hits - you get more for na loingeis and apparently some are for plural rather than genitive singular.0
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Pìos glè snog, a Steaphanaidh! :D

As regards the 'far an do.. agus far an do...' - Gaelic typically repeats the 'triggering' factor when a certain construction is needed after a certain conjunction or similar expression. If in doubt, repeat.

As regards 'gu leòr', it basically means enough, more than enough (hence 'plenty of'), not actually 'many',
so when you use it in the negative, as in your sentence, it would mean 'there are not enough boats there nowadays'. Whch might be true, but means something different.

I too would say I've met cabhlach more often for 'fleet', and not just for the Navy. I have often seen cabhlach iasgaich for 'fishing fleet'.
sr3nitygirl

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look over my little effort :-)

I edited the post again and put the corrections in bold.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Rud no dhà fhathast:

mòran bhàtaichean-iasgaich ... genitive plural

's e tobhta eachdraidheil ... no need for the article

do dh'Obar Bhrothaig .... no space

mholainn dhuibh gum feuch sibh
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
sr3nitygirl

Tapadh leat, a GhunChleoc!
sr3nitygirl

Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show on the US CBS Network visits Scotland, and in this episode, Arbroath...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLC4rMgzHM
AlasdairBochd
Language Level: Fear-ionnsachaidh fad beatha

Unread post by AlasdairBochd »

Cha do chaidil mi an raoir idir agus choimhead mi air. Mòran tàing airson a' cheangal. Bha e còrdadh rium.
Ghabh mi "smokie" ann an Arbroath anns a' bhliadha 1983. Tha cuimhne agam air a' blas gus an latha an-diugh.