Am Bitheadh Sibh Gam Chuideachaidh?

Sgrìobh 'sa Ghàidhlig is Beurla / Write in Gaelic and English
Forum rules
Sgrìobh a h-uile rud gu dà-chànanach / Write everything bilingually
Wilsons-of-Oxford
Language Level: Foghlamaiche [Beginner]

Am Bitheadh Sibh Gam Chuideachaidh?

Unread post by Wilsons-of-Oxford »

Airson Mios na Ghàidhlig, bìdh mi ag obair a post faclair is abairtean Ghàidhlig gach latha. 'S e foghlamaiche a th'annam agus chan eil mi ag iarraidh duine a' cuir air seachran. Am bitheadh sibh a'dol a https://www.facebook.com/GaidhligNanLinne agus an abaireadh sibh dhomh gu bheil mi ceart?

Moran taing dhuibh!

For Gaelic month I am trying to post Gaelic words and phrases each day. I'm a learner and I don't want to lead people astray. Would you go to https://www.facebook.com/GaidhligNanLinne and would you tell me if I am correct?

I realise there is a lot there and that at this stage of my learning the best way for me to not lead people astray is to refrain from leading too far but we're a small group and I wanted to do something to keep Gaelic in our students' minds.

faoileag
Maor

Re: Am Bitheadh Sibh Gam Chuideachaidh?

Unread post by faoileag »

Hi W of O,

It would be helpful of you posted a (small) chunk at a time on here.

Not everyone is on FB, believe it or not, and those who are probably wouldn't feel comfortable posting info about mistakes / making corrections right there on the page (If there are any mistakes :P ).

I'm curious about the group's name. 'nan' usually means 'of the' + a plural noun in the genitive (and these have to end broad... :spors: ), which Linne isn't.

Could it be Comann na Linne - society of the firth / loch / pool?
Or Comann nan Linneachan - - of the firths , pools etc.?

(See what I mean? Not the sort of query that you want on your FB page! :lol: )
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

It could be Gàidhlig 'nan linne 'Gaelic in their pond' of course 8-)
faoileag
Maor

Tha thu ceart! You're right!

Ach nach biodh 'Gaelic in OUR pond' na b' fhèarr? But wouldn't G in OUR pond' be better?

Gàidhlig nar linne..... :D
Wilsons-of-Oxford
Language Level: Foghlamaiche [Beginner]

Unread post by Wilsons-of-Oxford »

Ha ha, see this is why I need to plan ahead and get things checked out... or go live in the Gaeltacht for the next 30 years.

So the group is in Hampton Roads virginia, Roads in this case is short for Roadstead which is defined as:
body of water sheltered from rip currents, spring tides or ocean swell outside a harbor where ships can lay reasonably safely at anchor without dragging or snatching while waiting for their turn to enter a port of call. It can be open or natural, usually - estuary-based, or may be created artificially. In maritime law, a "known general station for ships, notoriously used as such, and distinguished by the name".[4] Charts and nautical publications substitute roadsteads for roads.
I couldn't find a Gaelic equivalent for Roadstead but Linne with definitions such as sound, firth, or bay seemed like the closest similar meaning. So the name we were going for was basically "Gaelic Community of the Linne/Firth"

SO I've either messed up (not surprising) or I can try to convince people it's Community of Gaelic in our Linne.
faoileag
Maor

Then see if you can change the name to:

Comann Gàidhlig na Linne

= Gaelic Society/Association/Fellowship of the Firth.

Comann does imply something a bit more organised (regular meetings, social events, a secretary etc) than a loose Gaelic-using community, which would be 'Coimhearsnachd Ghàidhlig na Linne', but that is less snappy.
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Regarding "roadstead", it's not a term I'm familiar with - and I would have taken it to mean something like "a dwelling place by a road". Or maybe, in line with the Auncient Scots term "wabsteid" (meaning "website"), just "a place by a road". But certainly nothing to do with water.
faoileag
Maor

'S e saoghal eile a th' anns a' mhuir.. :spors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadstead

agus

First Known Use of ROADSTEAD:1556
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/roadstead
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Chan e a' Ghàidhlig a-mhàin a dh'ionnsaicheas sinn an-seo :)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam