Sgrìobh 'sa Ghàidhlig is Beurla / Write in Gaelic and English
Forum rules
Sgrìobh a h-uile rud gu dà-chànanach / Write everything bilingually
McWhaw1
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Hallo

Unread post by McWhaw1 »

Hallo.

I'm an Edinburgh boy and I'm trying to learn Gaidhlig, however as others in my position will ken it's not that easy due to the lack of Gaidhlig speakers in the Capitol( to the shame of the Country) therefore the lack of access to everyday conversation which hinders the learning process.

My Grandfather was a Gaidhlig speaker, however as many of his generation who didn't live in Gaidhlig speaking communities, he tended not to use the language round the house and didn't pass it on te my mother so the chain was broken. My uncle has some use of the language as do a couple of my cousins, however family visits are few and they are not a viable option to learn from! I am aware of Gaidhlig courses available in the capitol but after work and with other commitments( such as my 7 a side football and band practise) this would be a further drain on my time which I can't afford, so I am attempting to do it my self! I have bought a couple of books by boyd robertson and bought a learn Gaidhlig dvd but these are boring without an outlet for practise. The new Alba channel has helped in simply being able to hear the language spoken but once again there is no interaction!

Therefore, what i'm asking is can this site be used to interact with Gaidhlig speakers in order to improve ones use of the language, ones understanding of it grammatically? I am at a very basic beginners level, I can count to 20 and say hello and so on but i desperately want to improve. Also, are those on this site sympathetic to those in my position as I am incredibly nervous and embarrassed about trying to write the language, as I know there will be many mistakes! I have placed this introduction in two separate rooms so I shall tell you a wee bit about myself, I support Hibs and Follow Scotland, I play guitar and piano a wee bit and do a few gigs here and there, I enjoy reading and am suspicious of those who go murrayfield to support Scottish rugby because a lot of them appear te be english upper-class students(ha). Finally I believe in Scotland and it's people and have full confidence we are capable of building oor own road in this world!

Moran taing, McWhaw1

horogheallaidh
Maor

Unread post by horogheallaidh »

failte mcwhaw! i think the forum here will meet every one of the criteria you ask for!!

ma tha thu airson Gaidhlig a bhruidhinn, stiall ort!

if you want to speak Gaelic , crack on!

the forum members have a lot of patience so just go for it and see how you get on!

le durachd
*Alasdair*
Language Level: Gu math siubhalachd

Unread post by *Alasdair* »

Halo!
I was in your situation 2 years ago - now i'm at the all Gaelic college and doing a Gaelic course, which is almost over, and i have Gaidhlig gu leor :)

Just keep pushing yourself and never tell yourself that you aren't learning!

We will all help you here - just start with what you know and it will grow =]
McWhaw1

Moran Taing

Unread post by McWhaw1 »

Ok, I'll start( I've clocked aff work a wee bit early today as I was promised twa tickets te watch Man Utd doon in London which didn't materialise so I guess the Hibees will have te do).

I have my boyd robertson , Teach yourself Gaidhlig and Gaidhlig dictionary in front of me so I think the best way te do this is te write in english what i want te say then attempt it in Gaidhlig.

" I am Scottish and l'm from Edinburgh and support Hibernian Football Club. I play guitar and piano and I'm learning Gaidhlig. I love Edinburgh and I love my Country "

( I know it's basic but I'm at a basic level, underneath is my attempt in Gaidhlig )

's mise Albannach agus tha mi a Dun Eideann agus mi leantainn Hibernian ball-coise caman. Mi cluich giotar agus piana agus 's mise ionnsachadh Gaidhlig. Mi gaol Dun Eideann agus mi gaol m' duthaich!
*Alasdair*
Language Level: Gu math siubhalachd

Re: Moran Taing

Unread post by *Alasdair* »

McWhaw1 wrote:Ok, I'll start( I've clocked aff work a wee bit early today as I was promised twa tickets te watch Man Utd doon in London which didn't materialise so I guess the Hibees will have te do).

I have my boyd robertson , Teach yourself Gaidhlig and Gaidhlig dictionary in front of me so I think the best way te do this is te write in english what i want te say then attempt it in Gaidhlig.

" I am Scottish and l'm from Edinburgh and support Hibernian Football Club. I play guitar and piano and I'm learning Gaidhlig. I love Edinburgh and I love my Country "

( I know it's basic but I'm at a basic level, underneath is my attempt in Gaidhlig )

's mise Albannach agus tha mi a Dun Eideann agus mi leantainn Hibernian ball-coise caman. Mi cluich giotar agus piana agus 's mise ionnsachadh Gaidhlig. Mi gaol Dun Eideann agus mi gaol m' duthaich!
You were close, but you want:

'S e Albannach a th' annam agus tha mi à Dùn Èideann. Tha mi a' leantainn sgioba ball-coise Hibernian agus bidh mi a' cluich an giotar agus am piana - cuideachd, tha mi ag ionnsachadh a' Ghàidhlig. Tha gaol agam air Dùn Èideann agus mo dhùthaich!

You have the words, you just need the grammar (the harder, not so fun part). Unfortunately, without it Gaelic, or any other language, would never work.

As an aside, Boyd Robertson is the Ceannard of Sabhal Mor Ostaig now.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Glè mhath! A very good first attempt! :D
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Unread post by Níall Beag »

McWhaw1 wrote: " I am Scottish and l'm from Edinburgh and support Hibernian Football Club. I play guitar and piano and I'm learning Gaidhlig. I love Edinburgh and I love my Country "

You think that's basic? There's a heck of a lot in there to think about.

My best advice to you would be to start thinking about what you know how to say -- if you focus too much on what you want to say, you'll simply find that (as in this case) you haven't learnt it yet....
neoni

Unread post by neoni »

i find that that idea limits people's confidence and is why people turn to english after a couple sentences. try and say everything, people will understand you even if you say it wrong.
JoP

Murrayfield

Unread post by JoP »

Obh obh! Thèid mi (supposed to be the use of the future tense to indicate a repeated action) do Mhagh na Mhoireach (OK I made that up for Murrayfield) agus ‘s e Sassenach a th’annam, ach cha chreid mi nach ’s e gach duine aig Mhagh na Mhoireach neach-leanmhainn Hibs, mar sin an sin glè mhath. Tha mi an dòchas nach eil gearan agaibh gu Sassenach ag ionnsachadh a’ Ghàidhlig (bha sinnsear Ghàidhlig agam, ged bha iad a’ fuireach anns an linn an ochdamh cearc dheug.) :)

Oh dear! I go to Murrafield and I’m English, but I think that everybody at Murrayfield is a Hibs supporter so that is all right! I hope you don’t mind an Englishman learning Gaelic (I did have gaelic speaking ancestors, though they did live in the eighteenth century!).
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Beagan ceartachaidh...

cha chreid mi nach e neach-leantainn Hibs a th' anns gach duine aig Magh na Mhoireach

gu bheil Sassenach ag ionnsachadh na Gàidhlig (genitive)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Seonaidh

Wombatsville

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Nach e "Magh nam Moireach" a bhiodh ann? No "Muraidhfiul"?
"Sasannach" cuideachd.
mar 's abhaist, "ochdamh linn deug"

An divven't ye fret aboot lornin Gaelic like, marra. Jes mind whey Broomlee Lough is - Northumborland.
chris-1961
Language Level: beginner - intermediate

Unread post by chris-1961 »

Halò GC.

Ciamar a tha thu an-diugh? :D

Tha mi glè thoilichte agus sgith cuideachd. :D

Hello GC.

How are you today?

I am very happy and tired also.

Mar sin leat an-dràsta.

Crìsdean.
chris-1961

Re: Hallo

Halò McWhaw.

Ciamar a tha sibh?

'S mise Crìsdean agus tha mi a' fuireach ann an Penicuik.

Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig a Colaiste Telford ann an Dùn Eideann.

Hello McWhaw.

How are you?

I am learning Gàidhlig at Telford College, Edinburgh.

You may find it useful to contact Telford College and ask for the Open Learning Unit for Languages as they have a Gàidhlig tutor there whio is very good indeed.

I have already completed two courses in Gàidhlig and have two more to do including the Higher which will be sometime next year.

Should you wish to meet up sometime in the future, please feel free to contact me through here or via my email address which is in my profile.

Mòran taing agus mar sin leibh an-dràsta.

Crìsdean.
chris-1961

Halò GC.

Ciamar a tha thu an-diugh? :D

Hello GC. How are you today?

Just a few lines to let you know that I have now completed two of the courses at college so far but my tutor had mentioned that the pre-higher will not run this year. He has therefore suggested that I take the higher course this year along with the exam and then retake the same course next year along with the exam.

His aim is to get me to reach a "C" in the exam this year and hopefully reach either a "B" or an "A" next year when I retake the course so fingers crossed.

Hope to hear from you as it's been a while since I was on here - my pc is broken.

Mar sin leat an-dràsta agus mòran taing.

Le durachd,

Crìsdean.
chris-1961

Halò Nìall.

Ciamar a tha thu an-diugh?

Tha mi glè toilichte. :D

I was wondering if you still want to meet up sometime in Edinburgh because I have now gone through two (2) courses so far and am taking the Higher this year instead of the Pre-higher on the advice of my college tutor. I am aiming to get a "C" this year and then re-take the same course next year and aim to get a "B" or an "A".

I would even ( if possible ) take any further qualifications eg :- Advanced, Diploma, Degree etc. I can only hope that everything goes my way because I am so commited to learning Gàidhlig that any and all courses that I can do, I will endeavour to take and pass regardless of the workload.

Anyway, hope to hear from you soon my friend.

Mar sin leat agus mòran taing.

Le durachd,

Crìsdean.