Android app

Teicneolas cainnt is cànan, bathar-bog ionnsachaidh / Laguage and speech technology, learning software
Mìcheal Beag
Language Level: Beginner but committed and passionate

Android app

Unread post by Mìcheal Beag »

Does anyone use an Android app Gaelic dictionary on a smart (?) phone ? I should think it very handy. Any recommendations?

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: Android app

Unread post by akerbeltz »

I don't think there's anything of a respectable size though I vaguely remember some muttering about turning the TYG dictionary into an app. There's a mobile version of the Faclair Beag though that you can shortcut onto your screen.

Before you ask, we're not turning it into an app, there's just no point in terms of developer time needed (you have to do Android, iPhone, prob not Blackberry anymore, Windows Phone and now Mozilla OS), bugfix forever and then there's the data safety issue.
Mìcheal Beag

akerbeltz wrote:I don't think there's anything of a respectable size though I vaguely remember some muttering about turning the TYG dictionary into an app. There's a mobile version of the Faclair Beag though that you can shortcut onto your screen.

Before you ask, we're not turning it into an app, there's just no point in terms of developer time needed (you have to do Android, iPhone, prob not Blackberry anymore, Windows Phone and now Mozilla OS), bugfix forever and then there's the data safety issue.
Thanks. I am interested in a "dictionary app" on the phone because I don't always have ready access to a network, nor do I want to scarf the data plan
looking up words online. I was not planning to ask if you will be "app"ing.
Alasdair Fitheach

Unread post by Alasdair Fitheach »

Hehe I suspect "bugfix forever" sums up the next few centuries of human life. That and "move inland."

'S e ceist inntinneach co-dhiu / It's an interesting question, anyhoo. I find myself wondering where I'd be away from both my dictionaries and the Internet long enough to need an app. But then, I'm not in Scotland. I suppose there have been times when I've had a book with me and have been traveling. On the other hand, it's nothing that couldn't wait. And when the learner speaks with the Gael, the Gael is usually also the dictionary.

Given the Gael's typical vacation destinations, I had been thinking a Castillian / Catalan / Portuguese - Gaidhlig app (or print pocket dictionary) might be useful.
Mìcheal Beag

I agree that a good dictionary is the best option however it's sometimes one more object to carry. Rarely do not NOT have my phone.
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

akerbeltz wrote:Before you ask, we're not turning it into an app, there's just no point in terms of developer time needed (you have to do Android, iPhone, prob not Blackberry anymore, Windows Phone and now Mozilla OS), bugfix forever and then there's the data safety issue.
Why not sublicense the data to someone who already publishes dictionary apps for other languages? That way the bugfixes are already done.
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

That might be an idea, thanks, I'll look into it!