Cha leig iad as

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
Each

Cha leig iad as

Unread post by Each » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Tha iad a mach air an busachain sgoil a rithist !
Ann an chataibh an turas seo - caraid a Dierdre Mackay tha mi smaointinn.

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/fu ... frame.html

ArtMacCarmaig

Re: Cha leig iad as

Unread post by ArtMacCarmaig » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Seo litir a sgrìobh mi gu Ms Whitfield an-dè. Bidh Each mothachail air cuid na figearan a chleachd mi!

9 February 2011

Catriona Whitfield
Parent Council
Brora Primary School
Johnstone Place
Brora
Sutherland
KW9 6PF

Dear Ms Whitfield

Classroom Assistants

I read with interest your letter to the Scotsman of 9 February (copy attached). Rather then write to the paper, I thought I would approach you directly.

I have great empathy with the call for Classroom Assistants to be retained. They are of great importance in Gaelic education as well as in English education.

I am curious, however, as to why you have singled out transport to Gaelic schools and units as an area where the Highland Council could save money and wondered if you could enlighten me as to what the £135k transport cost saving associated with Gaelic education, quoted in your letter, refers to?

I saw a piece in the Highland News before Christmas, the thrust of which was ‘fury’ at the cost of transporting pupils to the Gaelic school in Inverness. On close examination of Highland Council figures, it transpires that the costs of transporting children to the Gaelic school were the second lowest of all the schools in Inverness at £872 per pupil, with Inshes Primary School top of the list at £2,819 per pupil.

In Sutherland, the average cost of transporting pupils to schools is £1,603 per pupil with a range from £4,081 per pupil at Kinbrace to £0, it would appear, at Stoer.

The Highland Council spends £12.131m on school transport. The sum spent on transporting children to Gaelic units and schools is just £331k of that, or 2.7% of the budget, yet Gaelic pupils make up 4.7% of the schools ‘population’. The average cost of educating a pupil in Gaelic, in Highland, is around £900 less than educating a pupil in English. Average class sizes in Gaelic are 16, while only 12 in English.

The Highland Council does, of course, get nearly £1m in additional funding from the Scottish Government to help with Gaelic education. With fewer centres where Gaelic education is available, it is accepted that transport will be necessary to get children to the places where they can be educated in accordance with the wishes of their parents. That is still a lot cheaper than making Gaelic education provision in all the schools where parents might like it.

As the figures quoted demonstrate, transporting pupils to schools where Gaelic education is available is considerably cheaper than transporting pupils to almost any English language school you would care to mention and the overall costs of Gaelic education seem to be less than for English language education.

I would, therefore, ask you to clarify in what way £135k could be saved by the Highland Council by cutting transport to Gaelic medium units and would ask you if this is, in fact, where your call for savings should be directed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Leis gach deagh dhùrachd
Arthur Cormack
Cathraiche

Each

Re: Cha leig iad as

Unread post by Each » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:32 am

Rinn thu fior mhath a Art.
Taing airson sin