Gàidhlig airson tìdsearan

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
faoileag
Maor

Gàidhlig airson tìdsearan

Unread post by faoileag »

Sgeama ùr - a bheil barrachd fios aig duine sam bith?

http://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/news/ ... _1_1643315
Twelve teachers from across Scotland are taking part in a unique pilot training programme to assist with the increased demand for Gaelic-speaking primary and secondary school teachers.

In a new partnership between Bòrd na Gàidhlig and Glasgow University, the teachers have spent a concentrated four days being taught various aspects of language development in the classroom. Demand for the programme has been overwhelming and preparations are already underway for it to be repeated.

The participants have some Gaelic language skills but are currently teaching through the medium of English. However, this course is the first step in preparing them to acquire the necessary skills and confidence to teach through the medium of Gaelic.................

faoileag
Maor

Re: Gàidhlig airson tìdsearan

Unread post by faoileag »

From what I hear from people on a well-known Teacher Training course for Gaelic-medium ed. (post-grad) that I'd better not name, there is precious little preparation for (any) teaching and even less Gaelic on the actual course. Teaching practice is mainly in non-GME, and very hit-and-miss re practical help from college or school staff.
I hope this new scheme is actually useful and intensive, if it's to be of any help to teachers at all, and that it really is only 'the first step', not a token prelude to 'sink or swim' - not good for the teachers, not good for the kids.
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

It's Catch-22, faoileag. With so few GME schools, it's difficult to get teaching placements in GME. And then there's the problem of the "crit" (the lesson assessed by the university) -- with GME so new, where do you find a Gaelic speaking examiner? You don't, so placement are in English-medium classes.

This is the least of GME's worries. Getting the native speakers into teaching is what's required, so the latest news is welcome.

Call me racist, but I was appalled when an English acquaintance of mine told me he was looking to do a primary GME course. His accent is just atrocious, and while that's fine for a learner, if you put him in front of young children, it will damage their Gaelic. But I'm not really racist -- I object to some of the hideous accents of my fellow Scottish learners who're being put in front of children too.
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Inntinneach. Tha mi air cluinntinn Gàidhlig le blas Beurla agus 's e cùis annasach a th' innte. Agus tha diofar ann eadar, m.e., neach-ionnsachaidh a dh'fheuchas ris an cànan fhuaimneachadh ceart agus neach a chleachdas fuaimean à cànan eile. Leis an neach-ionnsachaidh, bidh mearachdan ann, gu dearbh, ach chi bhi blas glè annasach ris a' chànan. Leis an neach, 's dòcha air an cànan ionnsachadh, ach gun oidhirp airson fuaimeachadh ceart, obh, obh...

Ach chan ann leis a' Ghàidhlig a-mhàin a thachras seo. Tha cuimhne agam (tha mi glè shean...) air prìomhaire na R.A, Edward Heath, a' bruidhinn Frangais. Fileanta 's dòcha, ach blas trom, trom na Beurla...cha robh blas mar sin leis na tidsearan Frangais agam! Ach nam biodh...tha mi a' faicinn puing Nèill.

Co-dhiù, càit' a bheil an Genetically-Modified Education seo? Chan eil, ann am Fìobha, fiù foghlam Gàidhlig tro mheadhan na Beurla!