"Coffee and Craic" crowdfunder request RT mas e do thoil e

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

"Coffee and Craic" crowdfunder request RT mas e do thoil e

Unread post by Gràisg »

Chuir tè ris an canar Sarah Bolland iarrtas air làrach Crowdfunder - seo began dheth:

"Being a Gaelic learner in Glasgow this past year, I have made a lot of friends, it is a truely wonderful, strong community. However, I have realised that our community is lacking in a place to get together for a coffee, learn together, let the children play together, a community hub! My idea is to create this by myself, as a sole trader for my community and to allow me to be as involved as possible in my Son's education.

I have been working since the start of the year to put together a business plan, have identified a premises which is in the heart of the Gaelic community of Partick, Glasgow. I have had a huge amount of support from my business advisers at the Princes Trust and Jobs & Business Glasgow. I am in the process of applying for grants from both of them and will also apply for a Princes Trust low interest loan. These funds will allow me to buy my furniture (second hand and upcycled.) Also my coffee machine, fridge, panini machine, soup urn, counter and fit the shop out.

My next task is funding my community activity, and this is why I have decided to join Crowdfunder. I have calculated that 100 hours at £20 p/h is £2000. This would enable me to have a Gaelic tutor come into the hub and do learning classes with the parents and other learners for the first 2 months. After this I am hoping that my profit can be put to funding my tutors, and will allow me to offer more and more activities, toddler groups, children's reading sessions, poetry evenings and music evenings."

Tuilleadh an seo http://crowdfunder.co.uk/coffee-and-craic

faoileag
Maor

Re: "Coffee and Craic" crowdfunder request RT mas e do thoil

Unread post by faoileag »

Rinn iad an gnothach:

http://socialmediaalba.wordpress.com/20 ... c-lessons/

They managed it! :moladh:
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Unread post by Gràisg »

Tl Fhaoileig, leugh mi sin agus 's toll leam na leanas:

" Our Senior Consultant, Jamie Wallace, has been following the project closely offering support along the way. He then helped to coordinate one final push over the weekend to reach this important target, resulting in the creation of a press release by Laura Baillie and then a news piece reported by Iain MacDiarmaid that was broadcast on BBC Alba tonight at 8.15pm. Commenting on the fundraising effort and broadcast, Jamie expressed his delight.

He said: “I was delighted to see the BBC take the story up and our hard work came to this. I found the news really inspiring.This crowdfunding project has helped to re-energise private funding efforts in Gaelic development. I believe it will bring about a new confidence in the Gaelic community as a whole as it demonstrates how Social Media can have a positive effect on small business and community organisations. Sarah has done really well to date and I wish her every success in her business.”
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Well done to her.

I'm unclear on the classes thing though -- is she planning to offer them for free, or is she just covering the upfront cost with the aim to make it back in fees? Because free classes are notorious for not working -- the students aren't "invested" and dropout rates are high. When I did my English-teaching certificate, the students for our teaching practice were all paying to be there, because the school knew from past experience that it was the best way to ensure they came back and that we still had students to practise on by the end of the course....