Index for Complete Gaelic (Roberston/Taylor)

Goireasan ionnsachaidh, ceanglaichean feumail is mar sin / Gaelic learning resources, useful links etc.
Mìcheal Beag
Language Level: Beginner but committed and passionate

Index for Complete Gaelic (Roberston/Taylor)

Unread post by Mìcheal Beag »

If this violates TOS, bin it or move it.

Not knowing if one exists, and not finding one via searching, I created an index to Complete Gaelic (Robertson/Taylor). It's in alpha
order and corresponds primarily to the grammar, and insights, sections as well as anything else in which I was interested. The format
is spreadsheet. It's intended more as a means of easily (?) finding "how to ..." when you know you saw it but don't remember which
section. It seems I cannot attach it to this post so if anyone wants a copy respond here and I can send it via PM or email. If demand
becomes sufficiently high I will upload it to a website then provide the link.
Last edited by Mìcheal Beag on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faoileag
Maor

Re: Index for Complete Gaelic (Boyd/Robertson)

Unread post by faoileag »

I gather Complete Gaelic is a new edition of Teach Yourself Gaelic.

If you're familiar with both, can you tell us how different the Complete Gaelic is? If you already have TYG, is it worth getting this one too?

I ask as Teach Yourself are notorious for selling re-named and re-packaged old material as new (read any reviews on Amazon and you'll soon see that.)

Well done you for putting in the work - I'm sure it'll help others. My students using the (2003 ed.) TYG were also grateful for a detailed index someone had done and posted online.
Mìcheal Beag

Re: Index for Complete Gaelic (Robertson/Taylor)

Yes, CG is an updated TYG.

CG is more than 400 pages in length. TYG is fewer than 350. Whether or not the length differential is due to reformatting I do not know. The few passages I cross checked, but did not make a note of which ones, were alike so I am thinking the TYG has additional information.

I am familiar with the TYG index and that is why I chose to create this one. If you compare the two though mine is different, very, in its approach. I designed it to be more of a tool to use when you say "I know I saw how to say .... but don't remember in which section." My index lists that type of information but does not list many nouns, verbs, etc.

I thought it worth purchasing because it's not really that expensive AND it allows me to look at the same page in the same book regardless of which book of two a friend is using.

Mike
Last edited by Mìcheal Beag on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

It is so comforting to know that the entirety of the Gaelic language can be encompassed in a mere 400 or so pages...

(Sorry, a bit facetious, but calling something "complete" is really just asking for it!)

Incidentally, I've heard (and, indeed, even spoken with) a chap name of Boyd Robasdan/Robertson and he was very definitely just one person. He did quite a good dictionary a few years back (goes with the Larn Yersel book) - "good" in that it actually anticipates it when you're trying to find out some off-beat idiom, rather than just sticking with meanings of individual words all the time. Generally a lot more useful than many dictionaries twice the size.
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

It is so comforting to know that the entirety of the Gaelic language can be encompassed in a mere 400 or so pages...
You can probably cover most of the grammar on 400 pages. But then the big challenges of Gaelic lie not in its fairly simple grammatical structures but the extravaganza of the Gaelic sound system and its idiom.
Mìcheal Beag

Re: Index for Complete Gaelic (Robertson/Taylor)

Ah cRiPes !!!!

It shoulda-oughta been Robertson/Taylor. :naire:
faoileag
Maor

Re: Index for Complete Gaelic (Roberston/Taylor)

Unread post by faoileag »

Mòran taing for the info, a Mhìcheil.
Many of the dialogues in TYG are hopelessly dated (I teach the grammar my own way anyway) - it would be good if this has been a thorough revision, not just a tweak and re-package, but I will wait till I've seen it somewhere before getting my hopes up and ordering it. :spors: .
Seonaidh

Wow! I must confess I've not seen the Robasdan/Mac an Tàilleir TYG (I do possess a Veritable Antique by a chap called something like MacKinnon, if I mind right) - what are these dialogues like?

"I say, gillie, will you fetch that grouse for me?"
"Certainly, sir." ...

"Doctor Cameron, will you not be having another cup of tea?"
"Of course, Janet, and please bring me another shortbread biscuit." ...

"What time does the steamer sail for Kyle of Lochalsh?"
"She sails at 9 o'clock in the evening. Do you have a cabin booked, sir?" ...

"Stop! The postillion has been struck by lightming." ...

Aye, Boyd Robasdan and Iain Mac an Tàilleir are definitely two different people! Mind you, I've never actually seen the two of them together...
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Michael sent me the files, so here they are:

http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/index.php?sid=&page=11
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Unread post by Níall Beag »

I'm pretty certain the Gaelic book will just be reformatted. I notice that the "Complete" range tends to have "cover pages" for each chapter, thus upping the page count without any increase in content.

(As an aside, when the "Complete" range first launched, I assumed it was a bundle of the "TY <<name of language here>>" and "TY Advanced <<name of language here>>"... but it's not. They sell the "Complete" course, then sell "Advanced" as a follow-on. White man speak with forked tongue....) ((Not that there ever was a follow-on for the Gaelic one, mind.))
Seonaidh

Well, they should jolly well call it "The Incomplete bla-bla-bla" then! How does that work with things like the Trade Descriptions Act?