Colin Mark 'Gaelic Verbs: Systemised and Simplified' book vs Taic website for learning verb tenses?

Goireasan ionnsachaidh, ceanglaichean feumail is mar sin / Gaelic learning resources, useful links etc.
Polygot2017
Language Level: Learning
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Colin Mark 'Gaelic Verbs: Systemised and Simplified' book vs Taic website for learning verb tenses?

Unread post by Polygot2017 »

I'm thinking about buying Colin Mark's book 'Gaelic Verbs: Systemised and Simplified', as I'm working on learning the structures of the verb tenses in Gaelic. However, I'm also using the Taic website too, and I'm wondering whether Mark's book really teaches anything that Taic doesn't?

Also, Taic has audio so I can hear how things are pronounced, whereas Mark's book doesn't. I've also heard that the book has no exercises to practice what is taught. Yet it still sounds interesting. Is it worth buying?

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

I don't have the book - I hope somebody else can chime in on this.

I'd like to have more stuff in our book reviews section, but it's been too long since I''ve been at a learner level where I could try them out for myself.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Beware: "simplified" is very relative.

Very very different from TAIC - wordy, explanatory, rather than tabular in approach. Lots of useful example sentences with notes, rather than rules, tables, boxes etc. Not always easy to find what you're hoping for, despite detailed (word) index. Good stuff, but meaty and discursive - not everyone's cup of tea.

No exercises.

Most useful to more advanced learners, as an extra reference, or for browsing if you like grammar and its niceties.

As it says on the back, "for serious learners".
Polygot2017

Ok, well I've ordered the Colin Mark book anyway, so hopefully it'll help me improve my understanding of the tenses. Looking forward to reading it when it arrives!
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

O mo chreach - you'll probably be on here with a thousand new questions! :lol:
Polygot2017

faoileag wrote: O mo chreach - you'll probably be on here with a thousand new questions! :lol:
Most likely. But somebody's got to keep this forum alive :P