Tha a' seinn bh' Èirinn / A song from Ireland

An toil leat ceòl, bàrdachd no ealain sam bith eile? Am faca tu rudeigin inntinneach air an TBh? Innse dhuinn air / Do you like music, poetry or any other art form? Did you see anything interesting on the telly? Tell us about it
EowynAnduin
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Òran à Èirinn / A song from Ireland

Unread post by EowynAnduin »

Mòran Taing na h-uile.
Thank you Everyone

It is amazing how just a few words can be seen/used/expressed in two different languages :D I know I am learning much more than "how to say 'X' ".

With the various backgrounds, experiences, personalities and without knowing who comes from "X" background or has researched "Y" I have learned not to assume anything. Please let me know if you are joking ;) , enjoying, being "tongue in cheek", bitterly pissed off - if not I will follow you down the garden path like a lemming not knowing the land ends at the edge of the cliff. Mind you that can be fun in it's own :) . I tend to be smiling most of the time :) well unless it is work related and some "I D 10 T" cannot figure out how to type in their password :) .. <-- I digress

Now to get back to the 7 different words :)
O' , Bride , Hear , My , Prayers , Light , Life

I went searching concerning "Hear" and the context it is sung. Knowing that I am asking Bride to listen/hear and that Bride is a person I respect, an elder as such. The word can be sung with grace and silence, when one is longing to be heard due to sadness or out of dispair. A respectful imperative. I am hearing the formal use of "hear" is required, "cluinnibh".

I did look at "las" instead of "beòthaich". There was a difference between the two. One had more umph and feeling than the other. I did not looked into biblical records of the contextual use of these words.

At present I have no knowledge of the inner workings of Gàidhlig. It is what I am learning. Down the road I will revisit and see if this is where the song still lands.

O Brìghde cluinnibh m' ùrnaighean
O' Bride hear my prayers

Beòthaichibh mo sholas
Light my light

Beòthaichibh mo bheatha
Light my life

Tapadh Leibh
Namesta
Kim :)
Last edited by EowynAnduin on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Re: Tha a' seinn bh' Èirinn / A song from Ireland

Unread post by Níall Beag »

The commas are still a bit funny, because it looks like your addressing your life and light ie:
O my light: come to life.
O my life: come to life.

I'm assuming that you're asking Bride to light up your light and life, so ditch the commas.

Also, you're referring to her as "sibh" in the first line ("cluinnibh") but "thu" in the second and third ("Beòthaich"). You should be consistent with this. You've either got to use "cluinn" in the first line, or "beòthaichibh" subsequently.
EowynAnduin

Òran à Èirinn / A song from Ireland

Thank you. Edits done :)

Tapadh leibh.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

You don't only want her to hear you by accident, like a background noise, but you want her to listen. So, I would use "èistibh" instead of "cluinnibh"
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
EowynAnduin

Ceart :)