Are there any films made in Gàidhlig language?

An toil leat ceòl, bàrdachd no ealain sam bith eile? Am faca tu rudeigin inntinneach air an TBh? Innse dhuinn air / Do you like music, poetry or any other art form? Did you see anything interesting on the telly? Tell us about it
Polygot2017
Language Level: Learning
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by Polygot2017 »

I was wondering, have there ever been any films made totally in Gàidhlig? I don't mean dubbed or subtitled, but ones where the actors spoke in Gàidhlig (or failing that, dubbed ones would be ok). I think it would be great to watch films in Gàidhlig. Where can I find them? Thanks.

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

I think Seachd is probably the closest.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Seachd is definitely a good pick, because you can choose your subtitle language or completely switch them off if you buy the DVD. Try watching it without subtitles first, then with Gaelic subtitles, then with English subtitles, That way you will learn the most.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

If you don't mind watching soaps for the good of your Gaelic, you can find episodes of two soaps, Machair (older) and Bannan (recent and current) on YouTube.

There is also a Gaelic Short Film competition every year, FilmG (varying quality) - earlier entries here:
http://filmg.co.uk/en/films/filmg2017/open
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

The films from the latest FilmG are now online, but entry numbers seem to be really low this year -- 13 in the open category in total, 6 of which are student films (in previous years you'd expect to get around 6 from the SMO media course alone). They're half and half documentary and comedy/drama. Oh well, makes the odds better for little ol' me, I suppose...
~Sìle~
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

Well, the Gàidhlig (dubbed) version of "Song of the Sea", Oran na Mara, is showing on BBC Alba on Christmas Eve, but they have not made it available on DVD in Gàidhlig, which they did for "Secret of Kells", which also shows occasionally on BBC Alba.

Other programmes available to watch which have been translated, or dubbed are:

Siubhlachan, is a pilot episode of a children's programme that never took off, which occasionally plays on BBC Alba, but can be viewed at the link.
Saga Biorn Ùr - animation in Gàidhlig.
Faire Chaluim MhicLeoid - Canadian film in Gàidhlig.
An Cridhe Cabaireach - another Canadian film, being a Scottish Gaelic version of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart".

I think Comhairle Nan Leabhraichean still sells DVDs of An Gruffalo, and Leum Suas air an Sguaib, Gàidhlig versions of well known children's animations, which also are aired on BBC Alba from time to time.
Mairead

Unread post by Mairead »

Oh my God, they dubbed Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea in Gaelic??? Tapadh leibh!

Polyglot, here is the BBC iPlayer link to Song of the Sea in Gaelic: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094f5h4 If you don't get BBC Alba you should be able to get it on the iPlayer after it's aired, since I see you're in the UK. :)
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
Mairead

Unread post by Mairead »

A Shìle, càite a bheil mi a lorg Secret of Kells ann an DVD? (Sa Ghàidhlig - tha an DVD agam fhathast sa Bheurla.) Choimhead mi Song of the Sea anns a' BhBC Alba an-diugh, ach chan eil mi a' lorg fiosrachadh air loidhne mu na eadar-theangachaidhean.
Last edited by Mairead on Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
~Sìle~

Unread post by ~Sìle~ »

Mairead wrote: A Shìle, càite a bheil mi a lorg Secret of Kells ann an DVD? (Sa Ghàidhlig - tha mi an DVD fhathast sa Bheurla.) Choimhead mi Song of the Sea anns a' BhBC Alba an-diugh, ach chan eil mi a' lorg fiosrachadh air loidhne mu na eadar-theangachaidhean.
Cheannaich mi e bho Amazon nuair a bha ... it was first released. Scottish Gaelic was one of the options available on the DVD. I believe Comhairle Nan Leabraichean also sold copies. I wish they had done the same for "Òran na Mara", but this did not appear to be the case. Now, I just record the re-runs on BBC Alba, including today's showing of "Òran na Mara".

Sorry for the English, I can read Gaelic far better than I can compose it.
Mairead

Unread post by Mairead »

~Sìle~ wrote:
Mairead wrote: A Shìle, càite a bheil mi a lorg Secret of Kells ann an DVD? (Sa Ghàidhlig - tha mi an DVD fhathast sa Bheurla.) Choimhead mi Song of the Sea anns a' BhBC Alba an-diugh, ach chan eil mi a' lorg fiosrachadh air loidhne mu na eadar-theangachaidhean.
Cheannaich mi e bho Amazon nuair a bha ... it was first released. Scottish Gaelic was one of the options available on the DVD. I believe Comhairle Nan Leabraichean also sold copies. I wish they had done the same for "Òran na Mara", but this did not appear to be the case. Now, I just record the re-runs on BBC Alba, including today's showing of "Òran na Mara".

Sorry for the English, I can read Gaelic far better than I can compose it.
Huh, the Gaelic option isn't available on my DVD of Secret of Kells. At least, not on my Region 1 copy - I will have to track down my British one and see if it's any different.
An Gobaire
Language Level: Fileanta

Unread post by An Gobaire »

"Às an Eilean" is a 1993 full-length Gaelic film. It's on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGkzZ75Kg4I&t=2340s
Dèan buil cheart de na fhuair thu!
SammyLong
Language Level: professional

Unread post by SammyLong »

Mah maist favorite collections.

Culloden 1964
The Eagle 2011
The Illusionist 2010
Centurion (film)
Margaret's Museum
DavidRussell
Language Level: professional

Unread post by DavidRussell »

Cheannaich mi e bho Amazon nuair a bha ... It used to be previously propelled. Scottish Gaelic was once one of the alternatives accessible on the DVD. I feel Comhairle Nan Leabraichean additionally purchased duplicates.
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

While not fully in Gaelic, there's a lot of Gaelic in An Ceasnachadh.

From what I've heard, The Eagle doesn't use anything native speakers would recognise as Gaelic.