CLÌ questionnaire - am Faclair Beag + new BBC site planned

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
faoileag
Maor

CLÌ questionnaire - am Faclair Beag + new BBC site planned

Unread post by faoileag »

Have just received my Cothrom magazine from CLÌ, and there's a questionnaire in it from the BBC which rather took me by surprise. It says that the BBC , BnaG, SMO etc is 'planning to launch a new non-linear audiovisual learning environment' (abair cànan!) 'in due course'. This will include 'a standardised online dictionary which teh partners hope could develop into a core lexicographic tool for all Gaelic speakers.'

There follows a questionnaire entirely about Am Faclair Beag, which you should use for a week first, with rather leading questions.

MY (first) question is, is our own Akerbeltz, the man behind Am Faclair Beag, involved in this. If not, he should be. I do hope this is not explitation of some else's voluntary, massive and generous contribution to Gaelic. :olc:

Secondly, what is this all about? Why is it not being publicised more widely? It's not even mentioned on CLÌ's own website, as far as I can see.

http://www.iletec.co.uk/clinew/index.asp

Any answers out there? :?:

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: CLÌ questionnaire - am Faclair Beag + new BBC site plann

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Given I'm half of the Faclair Beag, I guess it would be hard for the BBC to use it without involving me, so the answer to that one is yes, Will and I are involved. In fact, the BBC and all others involved, including BnaG have been very amenable/cooperative/open to date.

The reason why it's not more widely advertised is that the BBC team specifically hired CLI to do some research into the user experience of AFB in general. As we're working to a tight schedule, the idea I believe is to get good feedback from the most likely group of people to be using it and to be reliable in answering (pat on the back of CLI members I think), rather than a massive wave of responses.
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

That's a great relief, Ak.
I am not a trusting creature. Nothing would have surprised me. :spors:

You will get a good plug from me, as well as honest answers in the questionnaire.

Still think transparency is better, though. This is not a confidence-building approach. :(
akerbeltz
Rianaire

Mòran taing - honest and good, gosh - I must have saved Vishnu in the shape of a mole or something to get all that karma ;)

In general I agree on transparency but I think on this particular occassion it vies with scientific method. Ideally when you do an experiment with people, you don't tell them what it's for as that might colour their responses. You know, if you tell people, "we're trying to figure out how many shades of red you can spot in 100 colour swatches", you'll get more answers that say "sort of red" because you've primed people. They might well have plans to tell you more in the next issue of Cothrom, I don't know. I guess it might have been good to say "We'll tell you what it's about next time".
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Unread post by Gràisg »

"Still think transparency is better, though. This is not a confidence-building approach"
Tha mi a' tuigsinn am beachd sin Fhaoileig, Chan eil e na annas a bhith faicinn làraich-lìn tighinn mar chloich às an adhar :-)
'S math gum bi goireas annabarach feumail bho chuideigin sa choimhearsnachd a' dol na bhroinn an turas seo, 's bochd gu dearbh nach do thachair sin le mobheurla.com.
They might well have plans to tell you more in the next issue of Cothrom, I don't know
'S e deagh iris a th'ann an Cothrom ach tha e caran sean-fhàiseanta a-nis a bhith feitheamh ceithir miosan airson tuilleadh fiosrachaidh fhaighinn :)
akerbeltz
Rianaire

Saoilidh mi gur e iris ràitheil a th' ann (fhathast) an cois cosgaisean a' chlò-bhualaidh 's iad a' clò-bhualadh ann an dath. Nam biodh barrachd bhall aca, 's dòcha :?
akerbeltz
Rianaire

Tha CLI a' toirt fàilte air beachdan o dhuine sam bith mun Fhaclair Beag a-nis ma chuireas sibh post-dealain thuca :D

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1623580032
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Bha trioblaidean agam leis an form mailer aca. Ma tha sibh ag iarraid seòladh post-d aca cuiribh TPh thugam.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam