Sgrìobh 'sa Ghàidhlig is Beurla / Write in Gaelic and English
Forum rules
Sgrìobh a h-uile rud gu dà-chànanach / Write everything bilingually
CairistionaNicD
Language Level: Beginner to early intermediate

Chunnaic mi rudeigin inntinneach an-dè

Unread post by CairistionaNicD »

Gàidhlig

Chaidh mi anns a' bhaile air an deireidh-seachdain comhla ri mo dhuine agus mo nighean. (Tha sinn a' fuireach ann an Ottawa, Canada.) Faisg air a' pharlamaid, chunnaic sinn duine agus a bhean. Ghabh e cù beag ann poca le casan chu a-muigh. Bha cù coltach ri tàchlach boireannach. Chan eil mi a' faicinn cuideigin coltach ri seo a-riamh.

Beurla

I went into town on the weekend with my husband and daughter. (We live in Ottawa, Canada.) Near the Parliament Buildings, we saw a man and his wife. He carried a small dog in a bag with it's legs on the outside. The dog looked like a woman's purse. I've never seen anything like that before.

(This was a text I had to prepare for class, but never got to use it so I'm not sure all the words are right)

jjb362
Language Level: Fluent

Re: Chunnaic mi rudeigin inntinneach an-dè

Unread post by jjb362 »

A Chairistiona - seo na beachdan agam fhìn air na sgrìobh sibh.

Gàidhlig
Chaidh mi a steach don bhaile air an deireadh-seachdainn còmhla ris an duine agam agus ri mo nighean. (Tha sinn a' fuireach ann an Ottowa, Canada.) Fàisg air Togalaich na Pàrlamaid, chunnaic sinn duine agus a bhean. Bha esan a' giùlan cù beag ann am poca, agus casan a' choin air an taobh amuigh dheth. Bha an cù coltach ri tàclach boireannaich. Chan fhaca mise a leithid riamh roimhe sin.

Anns a' bhaile means you are there. A steach don bhaile shows motion, that you are going into the town.
Mo dhuine - an duine agam. I am not sure what the grammatical rule is here, but lady Gaels do not use mo with duine - it is always an duine agam (literally the husband at me). My father was a native speaker, and I as was learning Gaelic I heard him introduce me to someone "Seo am balach agam". Akerbeltz did have a section on it. But it is - a bhean, his wife, and mo nighean, my daughter, and I would repeat the "ri"

gabhail, I would understand as take, and would use giùlan as carrying. Also esan, just to emphazise that it was the man, and not the woman who was doing the carrying. I would just make sure that it was the dog's legs and not the man's by putting in casan a' choin (the legs of the dog) :-) As well as "dheth" of it. Also boireannaich - aich at the end to show the possessive.

Cuideigin - somebody, rudeigin, something. I have used "leithid" there, which means the like with "a" which is the possessive pronoun "its", so I never saw its like before.

Hope this is useful

Seumas
CairistionaNicD
Language Level: Beginner to early intermediate

Unread post by CairistionaNicD »

Tapadh leibh a Sheumais! That was very useful.

We were introduced to the "an...agam" form as just a different way of saying the same thing--I had no idea about nuisances in the phrase. Would you say it's generally more common than the other structure?

Also, I used "gàbh" because it was a verb I knew how to pronounce. I know that's not really a good excuse, but I try to limit how much I fish out of a dictionary per text, since I have to be able to read it convincingly! As for "chan fhaca," for some reason, we have yet to learn how to use negation in the past tense (and one week left in the course). Based on this, would it be "chan chunnaic", "chan rinn", etc. for other irregular verbs?

My other errors, I think, fall into two categories: a) I suck at the genitive still and b) I don't know these words.

Tapadh leibh a-rithist airson ur comhnead (probably wrong sense of "help"). I'm used to being fairly competent in a foreign language and had forgotten what a struggle it is at the beginning!
jjb362
Language Level: Fluent

Unread post by jjb362 »

A Chairistiona - nuair a bhios sibh a' cleachadh "chunnaic" san am a tha air dol seachad, 'sann mar seo a tha sin ag obair. "Chunnaic mi sin" - "Am faca tu sin?" "Nach fhaca tu sin?" is "Thubhairt e (he said) gum faca mi sin." Nuair a bhios sibh a' cleachdadh "dèan" (to do), 'se "Rinn", "cha do rinn", "an do rinn?" is "nach do rinn" a bu chòir dhuibh a dhèanamh.

I hope that the foregoing is explanatory. The genitive is not easy, and the vocabulary takes time to learn.

Cùm oirbh. Soirbhichidh e leibh!
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

watch out that "gabh" has a short vowel.

On when to use mo vs. an ... agam: http://akerbeltz.org/index.php?title=Po ... n%C3%A8amh
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam