Too much studying? Please excuse my english :)

Càil sam bith eile / Anything else
EowynAnduin
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Too much studying? Please excuse my english :)

Unread post by EowynAnduin »

Just a funny comment...

Scenario:
I arrived at the trailer late last night. Long brain draining week at work, getting excited about my trip and overall worn out.

Here I am reading Blas na Gàidhlig. I am at the part of running words together, stressed and unstressed words/vowels.

My neighbor comes over. He starts talking to me. I hear...

yougotuplatelastnigh

My brain goes... what is "uplate", (heard as upla), I started to diagnosis where he had stresses in the sentence, were their any pauses in what he said.

All the time he is looking at me like I have 3 heads. I finally say something.. "upla"? He starts to laugh and goes UP Late ... I finally figured out what he had asked me...

Now back to my regularly scheduled programming ;) ...

I trust everyone is having a great day.

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: Too much studying? Please excuse my english :)

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Haha language is like that, isn't it? Reminds me of one occassion when I was asked /velufɛiNʲgus/ ... I blanked. He repeated. I still blanked, the bheil thu was the obvious bit but the rest... until eventually it dawned on my he'd shorted hiatus into one syllable and voices cus to /gus/. (A) bheil thu (a') faighinn cus? was what he was asking. Not a pause in sight :)

Two textbook examples of why, as a learner, we need to aim for normal speed as soon as possible.