Taibhs agus an da shealladh

Càil sam bith eile / Anything else
JamsO'Donnel
Language Level: Intermediate

Taibhs agus an da shealladh

Unread post by JamsO'Donnel »

My Gaighlig teacher did a lesson on the second sight yesterday and today and he has a book called The Gaelic Other world with a bunch of pretty neat stories of the second sight etc. Do you you guys believe in the second sight and do any of you have it? Share some stories of any second sight things, specters etc. :P

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: Taibhs agus an da shealladh

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Chan eil naidheachd mun dà-shealladh agam fhèin.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Uill, tha mi air cluinntinn mu dheidhinn Phil Spector agus Regina Spector: nach ann Canaideanach a tha R.S?

"Second sight": chan eil mi cinnteach air na th'ann, ach tha mi gu leòr cinnteach gur e "ath shealladh" a th' air sa Ghàidhlig co-dhiù. Nam biodh "second sight" agam, chithinnsa do phost mus nochd e...
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Thuirt mo mhàthair gun robh an dà-shealladh aig a bràthair. Tha eisimpleirean glè shusbainteach aice ach bidh iad a' fuireach san teaghlach. Mo bheachdsa lorgadh tu eisimpleirean gu leòr eile fhathast ann an teaghlachan anns a' Ghàidhealtachd, ach chan eil iad an-còmhnaidh deònach ri bruidhinn mun dèidhinn. San fhairsaingeachd 's e rudan gu math pearsanta, prìobhaideach a th' anns na tachartasan a chì iad.
Cha chuirinnse air falbh e ann am prionnsabal - there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in our philosophy...

Agus tha sinn uile gu math eòlach air agus moiteil à Coinneach Odhar, the Brahan Seer, fhathast.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Hi ... stradamus/

(You can take faoileag out of the HIghlands, but you can' t take the Highlands out of faoileag... )
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

My maternal grandmother claimed to have two prophetic dreams. She was English born, with English and Irish parentage. I forget one of them, but the other was about a cousin leaving a room with blood coming out of her ears. She told her about it and she was told to stop being silly. A short while later, the cousin had a bit of an accident in the lab -- a chemical reaction got out of hand and after the resultant explosion, her ears were bleeding and she couldn't hear anything for a few days....

(My memory of the story may be faulty, but it was something along those lines.)
poor_mouse
Language Level: beginner

Unread post by poor_mouse »

Really, some miraculous accidents happen sometimes with the people who do not think that they have any second site.
I was acquainted with a woman, and she told us how she saw St. Nicolas when she was very young. She's remembered the fact all her life, being at the same time absolutely unbeleiving, irreligious person.

Also, one man told us that he in his childhood saw an Angel. He was on the bank of the river with his friends, and the Angel was great and of many colours -- in the sky. The boy shouted: "Look, look!" -- but nobody else saw anything. The man talked of this as of very matter-of-fact episode, which he incidentally remembered.
Eilidh -- Luchag Bhochd
JamsO'Donnel

I'm not sure if this counts as the second sight but, When my brother was 8 and i was about 6, we shared a room, and during the middle of the night i woke up and heard him saying okay and I thought he was sleep talking, but the next morning he was feeling quite sick and he said he woke up that night an our grandpa who had passed away 3 days after my first birthday came to him in the middle of the night and told him everything would be okay. Later that day we took him to the hospital and he was diagnosed with diabetes.
Him and I both remember it well
Seonag
Language Level: beagan

Unread post by Seonag »

I want to have that book. :( I was looking for it but the book is expencive. (ach tha an leabhar daor). Chan eil ar leam ach tha a'còrdadh ri seo. (I dont belive in that but I like it) I just want to belive that something like that does exist. Live would be rather plain and boring without it. Just never happend to me and I have a hard time beliving.
JamsO'Donnel

I'm in the same position, Seonag!
Ceid
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by Ceid »

I know a bit about this--it is a common theme on old Gaelic stories. Sometimes a character in the story is assumed to have it without it being directly mentioned. It's often a woman, but sometimes male characters have it. It draws from old Celtic ideas about having a connection to the supernatural through the natural world. I don't believe in ghosts and spirits, but I do think some people are more intuitive than others. I think stories of the second sight are based on that, and that's why the concept of what the second sight really is isn't very clear--it's actually something very subjective and individual, depending on a person's degree of intuition. Even though I don't share these beliefs I respect my ancestors and the ways they interpreted their world and their experiences through ideas about the supernatural. I don't have to go that far back in my family tree to find people who swore up and down that ghosts and fairies are real. It's how they understood the world, so there's knowledge and experience contained in those beliefs, and I'd be a fool to be completely narrow-minded about it.
JamsO'Donnel

Well said!
An Gobaire
Language Level: Fileanta

Unread post by An Gobaire »

faoileag wrote: Agus tha sinn uile gu math eòlach air agus moiteil à Coinneach Odhar, the Brahan Seer, fhathast.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Hi ... stradamus/

(You can take faoileag out of the HIghlands, but you can' t take the Highlands out of faoileag... )
Agus gabhaidh eachdraidh Choinnich a leughadh sa Ghàidhlig an seo.

http://archive.org/details/coinneachodharam28995gut
Dèan buil cheart de na fhuair thu!
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Mòran taing! :D