Hi!

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
Songbird
Language Level: Beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Hi!

Unread post by Songbird »

I'm an American student who's really interested in linguistics. I speak English, Italian, and am learning Gàidhlig in my spare time. To be honest, I hadn't really thought much about Gaelic until I listened to Julie Fowlis, and wanted to know what she was saying. I'm pretty much an absolute beginner, and am using the resources at learngaelic.net. But so far I've found that the sentence structure and syntax in Gaelic comes more naturally to me than Italian, which is encouraging. It is a little daunting starting on my own like this, so I'd like to ask where to start with it.

Please, feel free to correct any grammar mistakes I may make in the future, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

TL;DR: Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig!

maf654321
Language Level: Tha beagan Gàidhlig agamsa

Re: Hi!

Unread post by maf654321 »

As a fellow beginner, I'm using Mango Languages and I like it, audio based and a little repetitive but that's exactly what helps you get a feel for the sounds and structure of the language, so I definitely recommend it. Check your local libraries and see if they subscribe because it's a pretty useful resource. Also, you might already be familiar with it but if not absolutely check out Akerbeltz's website, it's chock full of good information.
Songbird
Language Level: Beginner

Unread post by Songbird »

Thank you, I appreciate it!
Mairead
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by Mairead »

Fàilte! :) I'd also recommend BBC Alba's Beag Air Bheag website. A good book is Teach Yourself Gaelic by Robertson and Taylor. There's also a fantastic Gaelic dictionary online called Am Faclair Beag!
Tha avatar agam à dhealbh aig mo phiuthar anns an Cellardyke. Tha trì videothan Ghàidhlig agam anns an Youtube.
My avatar is from a photo that my sister took in Cellardyke. I have three Gaelic videos on Youtube.
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Little thing - you say you speak inglese and Eadailtis and you're learning Gaelic...if you see what I mean.

As it happens, I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Itly this summer (Florence-Rome-Rimini-Naples-Genoa and the like): can I get by with Spanish? What's best for learning a wee bit of conversational Italian?
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort!

If you're the grammar type, you should also have a look at TAIC http://taic.me.uk/. You can use a mix of resources, whatever fits your needs at the moment :)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

For students in North America, the times of the online (Skype) classes offered by the Atlantic Gaelic Academy may be suitable, and the programme is very grammar-based.

http://www.gaelicacademy.ca/

Gur math a thèid leat! Good luck! :D
Raghnaid NicGaraidh
Language Level: Intermediate
Corrections: I'm fine either way
Location: Adelaide, Astràilia-a-Deas (Adelaide, South Australia)

Unread post by Raghnaid NicGaraidh »

Fàilte dhan fhoram, a Shongbird! I'm an Australian student who's really interested in linguistics - I speak English and German, can mangle French and Spanish, and the learning of Gàidhlig is quickly taking up more of my time than any of the subjects or languages I'm actually *meant* to be studying...

I'm probably a bit late welcoming you, but as it's been about four months, I'd be interested to hear how you're going with it. I can only echo what everyone else has said about learning resources. Personally, I found enrolling in an Cursa Inntrigidh, the beginner's course with Sabhal Mor Ostaig, to be the best thing - I think I need accountability when learning a language, and it was very well-structured and taught me a lot. As Faoileag said, though, you'll probably find that the Gaelic Academy (based in Canada) has better lesson times for you.

A Sheonaidh - if you speak good Spanish, you should be able to manage with communicating in Italian. I did Spanish for my high school leaving certificate, but grew up in an area where most people could speak Italian and it was generally accepted that if you could speak one, you could understand the other, and vice versa - certainly this is true for me when dealing with some of the older people of the area, although I find actually reading Italian a bit trying. Remember that Italy has dozens and dozens of dialects, so even if you learn a bit of standard Italian, it mightn't be much use to you in the northern regions of the country. (On another note, the Australian census has four different boxes for Italian in the language section: Italian, Piedmontese, Italo-Australian, and Other Italian Dialect).
Zwalla28
Language Level: Tha mo ionnsachadh gun deireadh

Unread post by Zwalla28 »

Taic is fantastic for grammar, listen to Radio Nan Gàidheal and BBC Alba, and there are plenty of facebook groups that you can post whatever you'd like in. There are also skype groups and individuals (like me) who would be willing to type-chat or skype, whenever, really.
Bhiodh gaol agam oirbh gu bràth, ma cheartaicheadh sibh na mearachdan sa' phost os cionn!
Sgeul aigeantach mòr ri linn,
Gu'm bi neart, agus ceart, mar ri treòir,
Do'n fhear sheasas còir an rìgh.