Mo shinnsear blàth/ My blonde sorceror

Thèid a h-uile iarrtais eadar-theangachaidh air imrich a-bhos an-seo. Ma bhios thu seachd sgìth dhaibh, na rach ann an-seo.
CoraHill
Language Level: Basic
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by CoraHill »

Hi everyone! I am not sure if this expression is correct, regarding a blonde haired woman and "sorceror" with a romantic meaning, (captivating, etc.)

If it wasn't, May I use "mo állain bán" /My beautiful blonde-haired woman? I'm writing a novel, and Spanish is my native tongue. Big deal this ;)

Thank you in advance!

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Actually, "Mo shinnsear blàth" means "My warm ancestor" ;)

The accents in your 2nd example are the wrong way around, are you looking for Irish by any chance?

Do you want woman as in married (wife), or just an unrelated woman?

This dictionary might also help: http://faclair.com/ but I recommend that you get a professional tr*nsl*t**n, as you can't get the grammar right without actually learning the language.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
CoraHill

GunChleoc wrote: Actually, "Mo shinnsear blàth" means "My warm ancestor" ;)

The accents in your 2nd example are the wrong way around, are you looking for Irish by any chance?

Do you want woman as in married (wife), or just an unrelated woman?

This dictionary might also help: http://faclair.com/ but I recommend that you get a professional tr*nsl*t**n, as you can't get the grammar right without actually learning the language.
Thanks a lot GunChleoc, the first one is an automatic result from Google tr*nsl*t*r. :D
Actually, it is a Scottish gaelic expression what I need to find. It is a love saying from a highlander warrior to his lover, a beautiful, blonde, and single woman who travels from our time to XVI century, and is accused of witchcraft. Not sure how, but I "found" "mo àllain bán" :?
I'm afraid I finally will have to resume it with a "simple" "mo ghràid", while I'd rather insist in the idea of "my beautiful blonde witch" or similar...

Any other love expression will do, anyway, Could you please help me? (crying ;) )

Thank you again for your answer!
GunChleoc
Rianaire

Do not use Google tr*nsl*t* for this, ever. The results are dire, to say the least. Too bad you don't remember the source for "mo àllain bán", because that source should also be avoided. The internet is rife with pages spouting a mix of competely wrong Irish and Scottish Gaelic all thrown together, because some people who don't speak these languages find them attractive/mystic/romantic etc... ;)

You might find this page an interesting read on the subject: http://gaelic.co/gaelic-t*tt**/

How about "mo nighean bhàn bhòidheach"? That would give you a nice alliteration too. Or mo nighean bhuidhe bhàn, it's even a song.

"mo ghràidh" also works - don't forget the h at the end :D
Na dealbhan agam
CoraHill

GunChleoc wrote: Do not use Google tr*nsl*t* for this, ever. The results are dire, to say the least. Too bad you don't remember the source for "mo àllain bán", because that source should also be avoided. The internet is rife with pages spouting a mix of competely wrong Irish and Scottish Gaelic all thrown together, because some people who don't speak these languages find them attractive/mystic/romantic etc... ;)

You might find this page an interesting read on the subject: http://gaelic.co/gaelic-t*tt**/

How about "mo nighean bhàn bhòidheach"? That would give you a nice alliteration too. Or mo nighean bhuidhe bhàn, it's even a song.

"mo ghràidh" also works - don't forget the h at the end :D
Oh my God! The last one is just marvellous! And it's a song! I'll use it definitely! Thanks again, my friend. I'll check the link too :)
CoraHill

GunChleoc wrote: n bhòidheach"? That would give you a nice alliteration too. Or mo nighean bhuidhe bhàn, it's even a song.
GunChleoc wrote: mo nighean bhàn bhòidheach"? That would give you a nice alliteration too. Or mo nighean bhuidhe bhàn, it's even a song.
By the way, "mo nighean bhàn bhòidheach" and "mo nighean bhuidhe bhàn" do mean the same? I guess "my beautiful blonde-haired woman"... Would it be possible to add "sorcerer", or it would turn out too long? ;)
GunChleoc
Rianaire

In "mo nighean bhuidhe bhàn", both adjectives mean "blonde".

If you want the sorcerer in there, mo bhana-bhuidseach bhuidhe bhàn would do - be careful though, because it can carry some negative connotation.
Na dealbhan agam
CoraHill

GunChleoc wrote: In "mo nighean bhuidhe bhàn", both adjectives mean "blonde".

If you want the sorcerer in there, mo bhana-bhuidseach bhuidhe bhàn would do - be careful though, because it can carry some negative connotation.
Wow! That sounds wonderful to me. Thank you so much, GunChleoc, I think I owe you a special mention in the acknowledgements section of my novel!
GunChleoc
Rianaire

You're welcome :)
Na dealbhan agam