Hàlo!

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
slaintejoe
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Hàlo!

Unread post by slaintejoe »

Hàlo! 'S mise Ryan agus tha mi ... a newbie! Tha mi a’ fuireach ann an Birmingham, Alabama. I am a warpiper with roots in Alba agus Eire. I am looking forward to learning and participating! Moran taing!

Slainte!
Ryan

Seonaidh

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Hi Joe (uill, an dèidh faicinn "slaintejoe", bha mi a' smaoineachadh gum b' e Joe an t-ainm a bh' agad, chan robh mi an duil Ryan!)

Birmingham - and there was me, thinking of the Black Country, the West Midlands of England - only to then come across "Alabama". Oh well, I do vaguely know a doctor in Birmingham Alabama who's studied a bit of Gaelic. So, you're from Tìr nan Tearocaidh. Fàilte.

What is a "warpiper"? Is it more like "wallpaper" or "wargamer"? Does it mean you play the pìob mhòr? ("Tha mi a' cluiche na pìob mòire", I think)

Plenty o stuff here, plenty o links, a fair bit o discussion about points o grammar and that, so hopefully you'll keep amused.
slaintejoe

Hiya Seonaidh! Many thanks for the welcome note! I may know of the lad you speak of. Jerry Sapp? He is a good friend and a pipe student of mine. And yes, tha mi a' phiobaire. (Was that stated correctly?) I am in fact the only professional piper in the state. I play in 3 different pipe bands from east to west US, I perform for ceremonial functions, and I teach.

I have been interested in the language for years, having immersed myself in pipes for so long. Now it's time for me to learn the language.

Once again, thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to further posts!
Slainte!
Ryan
Seonaidh wrote:Hi Joe (uill, an dèidh faicinn "slaintejoe", bha mi a' smaoineachadh gum b' e Joe an t-ainm a bh' agad, chan robh mi an duil Ryan!)

Birmingham - and there was me, thinking of the Black Country, the West Midlands of England - only to then come across "Alabama". Oh well, I do vaguely know a doctor in Birmingham Alabama who's studied a bit of Gaelic. So, you're from Tìr nan Tearocaidh. Fàilte.

What is a "warpiper"? Is it more like "wallpaper" or "wargamer"? Does it mean you play the pìob mhòr? ("Tha mi a' cluiche na pìob mòire", I think)

Plenty o stuff here, plenty o links, a fair bit o discussion about points o grammar and that, so hopefully you'll keep amused.
Neas Olc
Language Level: Briste

Unread post by Neas Olc »

S'math faicinn gu bheil thu a seinn na pìoban- 's e Albannach dlitheach a th'annad. Failte ort!
tha mi a' phiobaire
Tha mi nam phiobaire (?). For professions you use nam, nad, na etc etc.
slaintejoe

Moran taing Neas for the correction! Good to know! I am afraid I could only pick up bits of your initial reply, but I will try. Something like "It is good to see that I play the pipes." "It is Scottish ..." something something. :lol: Then it appears you finish with a welcome. Was I close???

Tapadh leibh mo chariad!
Slainte!
Neas Olc wrote:S'math faicinn gu bheil thu a seinn na pìoban- 's e Albannach dlitheach a th'annad. Failte ort!
tha mi a' phiobaire
Tha mi nam phiobaire (?). For professions you use nam, nad, na etc etc.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte ort, Ryan!

tr*nsl*t**n: It is good to see that you are singing the pipes (one does not play them but sing them in Gaelic)

And I'd say 'S e pìobair a th' annam. Tha mi nam... is more of a temporary thing. But this already takes us to the finer points of grammar :lol:
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Seonaidh

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Ay - tha mi a' seinn nam pìoban - to be tech. correct, but tha mòran a-bis a bhiodh ag ràdh "Tha mi a' cluich[e] nam pìoban". But, more n likely, it'd be "na pìob" at the end, i.e. "the pipe" rather than "the pipes".