Aimaideas na seachdaine

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Aimaideas na seachdaine

Unread post by Gràisg »

'S e litir chlaiseagach a tha seo agus ri fhaicinn sa Courier Inbhir Nis sa mhadainn seo:

"Not the time for spending on Gaelic signs

Sir, I would like to know exactly who authorises such large amounts of my (the public's) money to be used on these wasteful Gaelic signs.
In this current day and age and current climate, money is being cut from every available budget, old folk are struggling, the disabled and infirm are
being hit, social activities are nearly non existent but hey, Gaelic signs, what a great way to spend vast sums of money instead of looking after people who need it.
The Gaelic committee has made itself nearly impenetrable to us regular Scots who are not fluent in Gaelic and as such are awarding these ridiculous sums of money on what is essentially pieces of metal.
What surveys have been done involving the public to note their interest and dissatisfaction with this wasteful spending? Who passes such monies? Why are our taxes being frittered away on non-essentials in such tight times?
If the Gaelic committees can offer to pay 60 per cent of shops’ costs for installing such signs in their businesses then quite obviously they have money to burn and such waste must be stopped!
What is the percentage of Scots who are fluent in Gaelic? Probably more are fluent in French!
I am a born and bred Highlander and totally shocked and dismayed at this frittering of public money and the unbelievable blinkered attitude of these Gaelic committees.
Mrs A. C. Macrae,
Harris Road,
Inverness"

Fregairtean do editorial@inverness-courier.co.uk