Taking issue with bilingual signs

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Taking issue with bilingual signs

Unread post by Gràisg »

Moch 's iad ag eiridh an diugh (na h-amadain). A bheil duine sam bith airson freagairt a sgrìobhadh don sgudal na leanas?

Taking issue with Gaelic signs

Sir, I read with interest the article headed “Row over Gaelic signs2 (Courier 31.1.12) and it seems we are all being forced to have and no doubt pay for bilingual signs, and that the policy is to have the Gaelic name taking preference over the normal English names.
Apparently the authorities are looking for equality of both languages, presumably that is why they have insisted that Gaelic should appear first. Slightly dictatorial and arrogant given that we all speak English but very few Gaelic.

Name and address supplied.

Freagairtean do editorial@inverness-courier.co.uk

Sgriobh mise thucha le na leanas:

Sir,
I personally have no problem with bilingual (Gàidhlig/English) signs and strongly support the policy. I would like to know however, why the Courier allowed an anonymous letter on this subject to be published? Is this standard policy towards anyone that wishes to write to your columns to criticise the use of Gaelic in road signs etc?