A beginner's guide to finding stuff in the Stòr-Dàta
As a beginner I found it hard tracking down words I read in the forums, because you have to undo lenition and slenderization. Here's my general prodecure for finding stuff in the Stòr-Dàta Briathrachais Gàidhlig:
- Enter the word as it is. If you don't find it
- If the second letter is an h, drop it. If you still don't find it
- If it ends with a slender consonant, try removing the i in front of it. Sometimes it also helps removing the final consonant itself. If you still don't find it
- If you recognize any word endings like e.g. plural or for a verbal noun, drop it. If you still don't find it
- Repeat 3. If you still don't find it
- Put in the original word again and try Briathrachan Beag, maybe it's an irregular inflected form and they've got it. If you still don't find it
- Go back to stòr-dàta and check the * on the left. It might be a lenited word that's part of an expression.
Also, check out the "le co-fhaclair" link on the top right, it rocks!
Happy vocabulary hunting!
An deasachadh mu dheireadh: 29mh dhen t-Samhainn 2012 21:26:51