Hàlo..

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
Sun
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Hàlo..

Unread post by Sun » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:34 pm

's mise Sam Brodie, tha mise gu math...

It would be pointless to try and say any more than that lol, i only know random sentences and words anyway and i'll most likely never be able to learn it anyway :P, i'm just a poor 13 year old :(, and i know nobody who speaks Gàidhlig in real life anyway.

*Alasdair*
Language Level: Gu math siubhalachd

Unread post by *Alasdair* » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Halò, math a bhith a' faicinn daoine òga eile ag ionnsachadh na Gàidhlig :)

Btw, never say never. I started learning a lone when i was 15 and i have just finished the first year of a 4 year degree at Sabhal Mor Ostaig in Skye ;)

AlasdairBochd
Language Level: Fear-ionnsachaidh fad beatha

Unread post by AlasdairBochd » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:37 am

Cum ort , a bhalaich.

Keep it up. You'll learn it in no time. You're a good age to start and there are many resources about. Good luck and keep coming back.
Check out these links for some starters

http://www.taic.btinternet.co.uk/
http://www.akerbeltz.org/

Sun

Unread post by Sun » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Thanks :D, by the way, whats my name, Sam Brodie, in gaidhlig? Both are gaidhlig words but if theres a gaidhlig name for Sam then that would be nice.

AlasdairBochd
Language Level: Fear-ionnsachaidh fad beatha

Unread post by AlasdairBochd » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 pm

Samuel is sometimes equated with Somhairle but it is just a similarity of appearance. Somhairle is from Old Norse Somarlidi or Sumarliði - Summer traveller, which was a euphemism for Viking. It is written Sorley in English, and this roughly gives the Gàidhlig pronunciation. Somhairle Mac 'illeathain, Sorley Maclean, is a famous modern Gàidhlig poet.
In the Gàidhlig Bible, Samuel is used.
Brodie is a very old name and no-one is sure of its origin. It's a place name in Moray and if very old, might be pre-Gàidhlig (Pictish ?). The Gàidhlig spelling could be Bròdaidh, but this wouldn't mean anything.
So - Somhairle Bròdaidh. How does that look ? :D

Sun

Unread post by Sun » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:44 pm

AlasdairBochd wrote:Samuel is sometimes equated with Somhairle but it is just a similarity of appearance. Somhairle is from Old Norse Somarlidi or Sumarliði - Summer traveller, which was a euphemism for Viking. It is written Sorley in English, and this roughly gives the Gàidhlig pronunciation. Somhairle Mac 'illeathain, Sorley Maclean, is a famous modern Gàidhlig poet.
In the Gàidhlig Bible, Samuel is used.
Brodie is a very old name and no-one is sure of its origin. It's a place name in Moray and if very old, might be pre-Gàidhlig (Pictish ?). The Gàidhlig spelling could be Bròdaidh, but this wouldn't mean anything.
So - Somhairle Bròdaidh. How does that look ? :D
Nice! I'd like to say thanks again for that and for the links, because they're really helping me with pronouncing things. I really was born with just the name Sam and not Samuel but there probably isn't a shortened version in Gaìdhlig, so it doesn't matter i guess. Bròdaidh is an interesting one, i heard of it being old and maybe related to pictish, i think old Brodie castle was burned down at some point hundreds of years ago and almost all records from those days and before were lost, which probably has something to do with the lack of knowledge about the topic.
Tapadh leat :)

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Fàilte ort! :smeid:

You can get a list of names here:

http://www.akerbeltz.org/beagangaidhlig ... inmean.htm

Brodie is not on it though.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam