Howdy from Austin, Texas

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
Bocksar
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Howdy from Austin, Texas

Unread post by Bocksar »

Hello everyone, Let me introduce myself. I live in Austin, Texas and I’m from Dallas, Texas. So I’ve got a heavy Texas accent to overcome. I’ve been a GH piper down here in Austin for 3 years now and its lots of fun. My ancestors came from Scotland to Texas a long time ago, back in the Republic of Texas days. And, I think it’s a shame that I don’t know the language. I always wanted to learn Gaelic but never made the attempt till now. I’m an absolute noob. I just bought the book Teach Yourself Gaelic by Boyd Robertson and Iain Taylor. I’m not in love with book, but it seems to be the best for remote learners, I’ve been told. So far I’m working on Unit 1, just started like I said. A friend of mine from work, and I are working on the book and audios at the same time he’s got a lot of experience with learning languages. However, I don’t. I could probably manage a bit of Spanish, but really this will be my first serious attempt at a new language. So, I’m really looking forward to it. It’s intimidating, but I’m up to the challenge. I hope to meet some of you more advanced speakers so I can pick up a few tips. I go by the name Bocksar in Skype.

Cheers,
Bocksar :)

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Halò agus fàilte ort!

Hello and welcome

You should check out the BBC site as well, they have a lot of excellent learner's material.

Other important links are in the Goireasan section on our webpage.
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

If you're in the US, you're on the right side of the Atlantic for the Skype class times of the Atlantic Gaelic Academy too, so you get speaking practice and correction:
www.gaelicacademy.ca

An Commun Gàidhealach Ameireaganach also has a list of classes and other learning opportunities in North America:

http://www.acgamerica.org/learn-gaelic/ ... e-learning

Good luck! :D
Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Unread post by Gràisg »

Hi Bocsair, Fàilte ort,

Keep watching the Skype threads on the forum, maybe they'll be something organised soon.

Good luck with TYG, there's a few folk here that have learnt a lot from that book :)
IainDonnchaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by IainDonnchaidh »

Hallo agus fàilte, a Bhochsar :)

Rugadh mi ann an Austin!

Ach, tha mi a' fuireach ann an Montana a-nis.