[Gaelic 2012] Fàilte! Welcome new learners!

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
bsuibhne
Language Level: Beginner

Re: Fàilte! Welcome new learners!

Unread post by bsuibhne » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Hàlo a-rithist a Jason. Bha mi toilichte do choinneachadh an-dè.

GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by GunChleoc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Fàilte, a Chairistiona! Rinn mi fhìn an Cùrsa Adhartais
I myself have done the Cùrsa Adhartais

Good on you for starting a forum, the more, the merrier! If you have trouble getting it off the ground, feel free to point your 58 subscribers over here if you want. Or give me the link, if you want me to have a look. Things are very difficult to get going when everybody's at beginner level.

A bheil facal Gàidhlig ann airson volunteer?
- Tha, amadan! :lol:

Is there a Gaelic word for volunteer?
- Yes, idiot!

Ceartachaidhean / Corrections:

aig a bhiodh an aon àm (no: an aon roinn tìde)
baby = leanabh
bidh mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig nuair a bhios i na chadal.

Accents:
mar as àbhaist
còmhla

Other typos:
fluich - make sure you have the order of u and i correct. This is a very common typo among beginners ;)
cuideachd

article forms:
Anns an t-samhradh
anns a' gheamhradh
Earran 3 a' Chùrsa Inntrigidh

Use of the article:
Is fheàrr leam an t-earrach agus am foghar - Gaelic like to use the article with these.
air Sabhal Mòr Ostaig anns an Eilean Sgitheanach - articles again
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam

sr3nitygirl

Unread post by sr3nitygirl » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:14 pm

A bheil facal Gàidhlig ann airson volunteer?
- Tha, amadan! :lol:

Is there a Gaelic word for volunteer?
- Yes, idiot!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EowynAnduin

Unread post by EowynAnduin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Madainn mhath agus tapadh leibh. Is mise Kim Graham. Tha mi an dàrn ginealach Canadian. Mo sinnsearsrean iad à Greatna, Dùn Èideann, Muile, Sasainn agus Èirinn. Mo seanair bhruidhinn e Gàidhlig. Tha mi ag ionnachadh Gàidhlig.

Good morning and thank you. My name is Kim Graham. I am a second generation Canadian. My ancestors are from Gretna Green, Edinburgh, the Isle of Mull, England and Ireland. My grandfather spoke Gaelic. I am learning Gaelic.

Any assistance is welcome :)

faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Fàilte, Kim! :D

Tha sinn toilichte d' fhaicinn an seo!

We're happy to see you here!

Tha Canèidianaich eil air an Fhòram a tha ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig, aig a bheil freumhan Albannach - chan eil thu leat fhèin!

There are other Canadians on the Forum who're learning Gaelic, who have Scottish roots - you're not by yourself!

A bheil thu eòlach air an làrach-lìn seo?

Are you familiar with this site?

http://gaidhlig.educationscotland.gov.u ... /index.asp
(in Gaelic and English)

:D

EowynAnduin

Unread post by EowynAnduin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Bu mhath leam iad tachair snog, an so.

It would be nice to meet with them, on here.

Chan eil. Chan eil tha m' eòlach air an làrach-lìn. Mòran Taing!!

No. I did not know about this site. Thank you.

Kim :)

GunChleoc
Rianaire

Unread post by GunChleoc » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Fàilte chridheil ort! :smeid:
Na dealbhan agam

carrie

Unread post by carrie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:57 am

Hallo, is mise Carrie. Tha mi às Na Stàitean Aonaichte… more specifically Tennessee :D

I am definitely a beginner. I've been tinkering with Speaking Our Language, BBC Alba, a gàidhlig book group on library thing, anything printed I can find (hardcopy or digital) and listening to various sources of gàidhlig media when I have the chance. I've been tied up with nursing school for a while so that limited my extracurricular study time. I'm currently taking a short break while transferring to a new program so I've got more time to devote to other things I enjoy. I'm hoping to become a bit more comfortable with gàidhlig this year. I think being able to actively use it will help since I'm not very close to anyone that I know to be able to practice in person.

I look forward to learning a lot with you all!

Carrie :)

GunChleoc
Rianaire

Unread post by GunChleoc » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:49 am

Fàilte ort and I'm looking forward to your posts :)
Na dealbhan agam

faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Fàilte, Carrie!

While we're happy to help learners on here, we can't actually teach people, so in terms of getting actual regular practice (especially speaking: pronunciation and conversation skills) it's best if you look for a course, eg a Skype/online one.

There's Sabhal Mòr Ostaig in Scotland, but the time difference would probably be a problem, and even the Cùrsa Inntrigidh (access course) is a bit tough for real beginners. The Atlantic Gaelic Academy (Canada) would probably be more suitable time-wise, and has weekly Skype classes. Steaphanaidh on here is doing it - I'm sure she'd be willing to tell you more.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/Foghlam/Tagh-C ... ex_en.html

http://www.gaelicacademy.ca/

Also check out the self-study stuff already available online : http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/index.php?page=2

There's also a thread on here with people's Skype names - why not have a look and try contacting some for extra practice?

Gur math a thèid leat!
Good luck!

sr3nitygirl

Unread post by sr3nitygirl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Fàilte Carrie!

Indeed, as Faoileag mentioned, I'm on the AGA course which takes place on Skype on a weekly basis (3-hour classes).

The main classes run from September to May, and they also provide summer classes (review and conversational) running from the end of May until August.

I will say that the course does require that you set aside enough time out of your week to practice, either on your own using the materials they provide, or with your practice partner. If you don't have a regular partner, they will help you find someone else at your level of learning. To me, this has been the single most important aspect of this course, and I've been fortunate to have a regular partner with whom I can practice with between 2 and 4 times a week as time allows. Not just a practice partner, but a good friend as well, and we're fortunate to live only 150 miles apart so we have been able to meet a couple of times. We plan to continue to practice and learn over the summer, and I will probably take the summer class as well.

Content-wise, AGA provides various materials (documents and sound files), and they also use Teach Yourself Gaelic/Complete Gaelic to supplement the course (it actually is used quite a lot). They have their own forum/message board which is also used to distribute the learning materials.

I have found the course to be well-paced, covering each aspect thoroughly, with ample opportunities for review, before moving on to the next unit.

See the website for fees, but I should mention that in the past, they have allowed you to split the payments over 3 installments, due roughly every 3 months.

Hope that's useful to you!