[Gaelic 2012] Fàilte! Welcome new learners!

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

[Gaelic 2012] Fàilte! Welcome new learners!

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Bu toigh leinn fàilte a chur air a h-uile duine ùra a ghabhas pàirt ann an Gaelic2012. Guma math a thèid leibh! :smeid:

We would like to welcome everybody who is taking part in Gaelic 2012. Good luck!

Nach sgrìobh sibh rudeigin, sa Ghàidhlig no sa Bheurla? :D

Why don't you write something, in Gaelic or English?

Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
GlitteringSkelly
Language Level: Beginner

Re: Fàilte! Welcome new learners!

Unread post by GlitteringSkelly »

Madainn mhath! and thank you for the welcome. It's great to know that there are lots of other people interested in learning Gaelic in 2012. I was full of good intentions to learn Gaelic in 2011 but didn't make too much progress! Have enjoyed reading the tips shared in the other thread and look forward to exploring the Forum further.

I also did an introductory Gaelic class about 15 years or so ago but it seems that 2012 is a much better time to learn a language - so much easier to access good resources such as podcasts, websites etc and I've been enjoying BBC Alba recently too.

I'm based in Edinburgh and it would be good to do an actual class at some point this year too - any recommendations?

cheers for now

Elaine
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Failte, GlitteringSkelly!

Welcome to first new poster in this thread, and to first in 2012! That's a good omen. :lol:

There are quite a lot of opportunities in Edinburgh, I've heard, but am not from there, so will leave it to locals to advise. :P
Broganta

Unread post by Broganta »

Thòisich mi a'bhuidhinn Gàidhlig aon bliadhna a chionn, ach cha robh a'sgriobhadh e. Tha mi creidsinn gum bi e math agam ag'ionnsachadh sin anns an aitche seo.
Last edited by Broganta on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PamB

Unread post by PamB »

Feasgar math. Tapadh leat airson your welcome! Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig aig SMO - Cùrsa Inntrigidh. I am very much a beginner and look forward to improving my skills in 2012. I look forward to meeting other learners here, too.

Tioraidh an-drasta!
Lìosa

Unread post by Lìosa »

Halò! Is mise Lìosa (or actually just Lisa). I’ve been lurking here for awhile and have finally decided to peek in the door for the Gaelic 2012 Initiative.

I am a rank beginner…my written Gàidhlig consists mostly of “cut and paste” or stock phrases, and I tend be reluctant to speak the little I know unless I’m reasonably sure I’m pronouncing it correctly…a bit self-defeating, I know. :naire: My sources of instruction at the moment are some “Speaking Our Language” and “Can Seo” videos on YouTube (and now LearnGaelic), Everyday Gaelic and Muriel Fisher’s Level 1 book (which I started but let drop after the first couple of lessons). I also have a friend (who is also my piping instructor…I am in a pipe band) who is a bit more advanced in the language than I am and willing to help me. As it stands now, I recognize more written than spoken Gàidhlig, so we actually communicate by text in Gàidhlig more than we speak it aloud! :priob:

Living where I do (near Memphis, TN), I obviously don’t have a lot of opportunity to speak Gàidhlig on a regular basis in my everyday life, but we’ll see how this goes! Just please bear with me as a slowly venture in with much fear and trepidation! :nearbhach:
Vargavinter
Language Level: Complete beginner

Unread post by Vargavinter »

Hello! I'll be participating in the Gaelic 2012 initiative, too.

I'm 23 years old, I'm from Italy and I have been interested in Scottish Gaelic language and culture for a number of years now. Unfortunately finding courses or related materials in my country is next to impossible, and my attempts to learn the language over the years have failed. Luckily, I recently managed to get a Colloquial Gaelic book, and I plan to work on that - in addition to the TAIC website - to begin my studies anew for the project.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!
slovakhorse
Language Level: Complete Beginner

Unread post by slovakhorse »

Hi I'm completely new to Gaelic language,I tried to start with "Teach yourself" by Robertson & Taylor but found the discrepancy between pronunciation and written word (to the English speaker) a challenge, so all I've really done is try to memorise the rules around this,that has worked a bit and at least removed the initial shock of finding a language that seems superficially to be a muddle but is actually perfectly structured.

Looking at the "Tips" post I should survey and opt for a course on line hopefully with text,audio and movie.

Mr Slovakhorse
Fear na coille
Language Level: meadhonach

Unread post by Fear na coille »

Halo a h-uile duine, bliadhna mhath ur dhuibh!

'S mise Mike, 's tha mi a' fuireach ann Florida a deas. Tha mi toilichte a bhith seo cuide ri luchd toiseachadh eile. Math dha riribh Gunchleoc airson a' deannabh seo.
Chan urrain dhomh fuireach a bhith coinneachadh ruibh.

Hello everybody, Happy new year!

I'm Mike, I live in South Florida. I'm pleased to be here with other learners. Great going Gunchleoc for doing this. I can't wait to meet everybody.
Wilsons-of-Oxford
Language Level: Foghlamaiche [Beginner]

Unread post by Wilsons-of-Oxford »

Hallo! Is mise Jason. Tha mi a fuireach an Virginia. Excited to be a part of the group. Hoping to learn to think Gàidhlig rather than just reading and writing it (though I need to learn those too :priob: ). Best of luck to everyone!
Tomba
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by Tomba »

Maidainn mhath a h-uile duine,

'S mise Tom, tha mi 32 bliadhna a dh'aois agus tha mi à Israel.

My grandfather was from Scotland but sadly by the time I was mature enough to know I wanted to learn his language it was too late.
I bought Teach Yourself Gaelic back in 2001, didn't get passed unit 2 and put it aside. A couple of months ago I decided to study it more seriously and so far I've made much more progress than I did back then. I am using my old TYG book, Fiona Mackenzie's podcast, TAIC and a pen-pal I found online and helps me a lot.

I really enjoy studying it and wish I did it much earlier but better late than never, right? :)

Mar sin leibh an dràsda,
Tom
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Failte, a h-uile duine! Welcome , everyone! :D

Gur math a theid leibh uile leis! :lol:
Good luck to you all with it!

Great to see so many here right at the start of the year!
See yourselves as a community of learners, exchange contact details (e.g. via PM on here), Skype each other, look at all the tips and resources, come back to us for help when you need it!

This is exciting! :moladh:
nshoreman
Language Level: Intermediate

Unread post by nshoreman »

Tapeadh libh airson an aite seo. 'S toigh leam a bhi a' ionnsachadh Gaidhlig. Dh' ionnsaich mo bhean 's mi fhin bho cionn aon bliadhna. Bliadhna Mhath Ur a h-uile duinne.
Fear na coille
Language Level: meadhonach

Unread post by Fear na coille »

Halo a charaid 'sa chànan. Bliadhna mhath ùr dhuibhsa.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

Feasgar Math/Madainn Mhath! Is mise Scott. Tha mi ann na Staitean Aonaichte ann Staite Pennsylvania. Chan eil mo Ghaidhlig gle mhath, ach tha mi ann seo an-drasta. Bha mi ag ionsachaidh mi fhìn tro da bliadhnachan, ach bha mi ag ionsachaidh le leobhar "An Tuil Anthology of Gaelic Verse", agus gramair bho inter-net sites agus tha agam "An Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language" bho Alexander MacBain, agus bho seinne na Gaidhlig bho youtube.com (Julie Fowlis, Runrig, The Lochies etc.).

Tapadh leibh ann Gaelic 2012 agus Fòram na Gàidhlig.

Tirio an-drasta.

Scott

Good Evening/Good Morning! I am Scott. I am in the U.S. in the state of Pennsylvania. My Gaelic is not very good, but I am here now. I was studying on my own through two years but I was studying with the book "An Tuil Anthology of Gaelic Verse", grammar from inter-net sites, and I have "An Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language" by Alexander MacBain, and I was learning from Gaelic songs via youtube.com (Julie Fowlis, Runrig, The Lochies etc).

Thank you to Gaelic 2012 and The Gaelic Forum.

See you for now.

Scott

Tha a Ghaidhlig beag air beag againn!