Hi

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
ropairi
Language Level: minimal

Hi

Unread post by ropairi »

is anim dom Craig. I don't know much but wish to learn.

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: Hi

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Fàilt' ort, Craig! Tha is ainm dom car Èireannach, canaidh sinn 's mise x no 's e x an t-ainm a th' orm ann an Alba
An Gobaire
Language Level: Fileanta
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by An Gobaire »

Actually, I would like to know if

(Name) is ainm dhomh is still in use in Argyll amongst older speakers?
Dèan buil cheart de na fhuair thu!
akerbeltz
Rianaire

Well, you can say it anywhere, but it's like saying I am named in English rather than my name is. It's in the modern version of the bible too.
conmaol

Unread post by conmaol »

Fàilte ort, a Chraig!

As Akerbeltz says, the customary ways of saying "I'm Craig" or "My name is Craig" in Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig na h-Albann) are:
  • Is mise Craig.
  • Is e Craig an t-ainm a tha orm. [The name that is on me is Craig]

Check out the dedicated "Gaelic2012" part of the forum over the next week or so for some activities and discussions aimed at brand new Gaelic learners -

http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/foram/viewforum.php?f=31
An Gobaire

akerbeltz wrote:Well, you can say it anywhere, but it's like saying I am named in English rather than my name is. It's in the modern version of the bible too.
Well, yes it is, but that is as close to "My name is..." in English as you can get. Neither "'S e .. an t-ainm a th' orm" or "Is mise.." are literally any closer!
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte ort! Don't hesitate to ask any questions :)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
akerbeltz
Rianaire

Well, yes it is, but that is as close to "My name is..." in English as you can get. Neither "'S e .. an t-ainm a th' orm" or "Is mise.." are literally any closer!
What I meant was that on an oddness scale where 0 = normal and 10 equals highly unusual/downright weird, both X is ainm dom and I am named X probably score a 5 whereas is mise X/'s e X an t-ainm a th' orm and my name is X score a 0.
An Gobaire

No, I don't agree that it's a question of normality. Register - maybe, but then again, with a language that is now used in so few domains, there is no way to measure normality of expressions that were once commonplace. If Professor Donald Meek were to say "...is ainm dhomh", would you say he was speaking weird, abnormal Gaelic? Maybe you would, but you would be wrong.

If you said on a "scale of common usage", then of course I would agree with you.
akerbeltz
Rianaire

would you say he was speaking weird, abnormal Gaelic?

If you said on a "scale of common usage", then of course I would agree with you.
We mean the same thing, I just have a more flippant way of talking about it. Agreed, the phrase itself is not abnormal but in the wrong setting, it "sounds" weird. If you walk into a shop in Glasgow and went "Ho my valiant knave, wherefort art thine papers" most people would class that as "weird". If you go to the medieval battle club at Mugdock and say that, you'll get a cheer.

Though the point in history where is ainm dhomh did NOT sound out of place in everyday conversation is quite some time ago in most places.
An Gobaire

I don't agree that ...is ainm dhomh is equivalent to your medieval English example at all. I think it depends on who says this particular phrase, and how it's said, and in what context.

Eg. It's common in Irish Gaelic, and so if an Irish person were to visit Islay, and say ....is ainm dom , then I don't think it would be thought of by the Scottish Gael he was addressing as out of place.

Also, it is still commonly used in writing for giving the names of things, as well as people. I.e "....is ainm don leabhar seo", or "...a b' ainm don sgrìobhadair".

If you go around saying, this phrase can't be used, or that phrase can't be used because it's not common, then you will wipe out most Gaelic expressions, because quite frankly, formal spoken Gaelic in the community isn't particularly common anymore.

I am reading writings by a man who died in the late 1980s in which he uses "...is ainm do" for naming a book he was describing. I can't imagine anyone in any majority language saying that expressions in common use in the 1980s were now equivalent to medieval language in the 21st century.

The only reason you get away with it in Gaelic is because there are not enough native speakers around to correct you, and that some of the ones that are around have so few situations in which they can use, or are willing to use Gaelic that they have come to see alternative structures as invalid, when in fact, it is just that they have become narrow in the lexicon they employ or accept.

It is not what is commonly "accepted" but what is commonly understood that is important. Comprehension is the most important factor and everyone would understand this phrase.

The phrase "THa... na charaid dhomh" , for example, has become less and less common, with learners or younger Gaels in particular saying "THa caraid agam" or whatever, but still I wouldn't compare it to medieval English and neither would I liken any of the other richly idiomatic expressions that are no longer "common" as being archaic.
horogheallaidh
Maor
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by horogheallaidh »

well after that insight - one for the 'bet you wish you'd never asked' category - failte mhòr ort a Chraig! :)