Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
coempa
Language Level: beginner/tòisichear
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Hàlo, is mise Coempa

Unread post by coempa »

Hey everyone,
I'm Coempa from Holland.
I'd been looking into gaidhlig for a while, trying to learn the language, when I stumbled upon this forum.
This place seems like a great opportunity to learn the language, talk to other learners and native speakers, and hopefully make some new friends!
You'll get to know me along the way, I guess..

What Tarquin the Proud said in his garden with the poppy blooms was understood by the son but not by the messenger.
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: Hàlo, is mise Coempa

Unread post by akerbeltz »

coempa

Unread post by coempa »

Tapadh leibh ;)
What Tarquin the Proud said in his garden with the poppy blooms was understood by the son but not by the messenger.
GunChleoc
Rianaire
Language Level: Mion-chùiseach

Unread post by GunChleoc »

Fàilte chridheil ort! :)
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Na dealbhan agam
Màiri na Coille
Language Level: Beagan ach a fas nas fhearr

Unread post by Màiri na Coille »

Fàilte dhan Fhòram, a Choempa! :D Ciamar a bha thu a' faighinn a-mach mu dheidhinn a' Ghàidhlig?

Welcome to the Forum, Coempa! How did you discover the Gaelic?
Màiri na Coille

'S toigh leam sin, akerbeltz. :)
coempa

Unread post by coempa »

Màiri na Coille wrote:Fàilte dhan Fhòram, a Choempa! :D Ciamar a bha thu a' faighinn a-mach mu dheidhinn a' Ghàidhlig?

Welcome to the Forum, Coempa! How did you discover the Gaelic?
Tapadh leibh, a Mhàiri!
I honestly don't know how I discovered the language, I can't quite recall. I think I heard the Silly Wizard version of the song 'Fear a Bhata' one day, and I decided on searching for other versions of the song when I stumbled upon a gàidhlig version of the song. In the 'suggestions' bar I saw a video called 'learning our language', which I ended up clicking. I think that's how got indulged with the language.
I have no idea when I started being interested in celtic music and folklore, it just happened.
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

Fàilte bhuamsa cuideachd, Coempa! :D
Welcome from me too!

Tha daoine eile san Òlaind a bhios ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig. Thadhail mi orra air Skype.
There are other people from the NL learning Gaelic - I've met them on Skype.

Gur math a thèid leat!
Good luck!
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Agus Ann Desseyn, ged is Flannrach ise
coempa

Unread post by coempa »

faoileag wrote:Fàilte bhuamsa cuideachd, Coempa! :D
Welcome from me too!

Tha daoine eile san Òlaind a bhios ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig. Thadhail mi orra air Skype.
There are other people from the NL learning Gaelic - I've met them on Skype.

Gur math a thèid leat!
Good luck!
Tapadh leat, a fhaoleaig.
Then I shall meet them in due time ;)

Also, a quick question; what does the word 'air' mean exactly? I've seen it used in many different ways. 'air skype' means on skype. And in the lyrics to 'Ged a sheol mi air m'aineol' it t-lates to 'to' and 'in'.
faoileag
Maor

Unread post by faoileag »

'air' basically does mean 'on' nowadays, but it's used in a lot of idiomatic expressions where you have to take the whole phrase, not tr*nsl*t* word for word.

'aineol' means 'the state of being a stranger or foreigner'. Tha mi air m' aineol means 'I'm a stranger (here)'.
Ged a sheòl mi air m' aineol > although I sailed as a stranger / to places where I was a stranger = to foreign places
coempa

Unread post by coempa »

Ah yes, I see. Makes it just a bit more complex. Also, what's with the tr*nsl*t* censoring? I caught on and said t-late, but I'm not quite sure what the whole deal is with that.
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

One of the problems faced by any site that operates in a "scarce" language - particularly, e.g., one that is not yet included in tr*nsl*t*.google and so forth - is that it gets swamped with folk asking for tronslotions of odd bits of stuff, e.g. mottos, tattoos or sundry short phrases. And, by and large, such folk have no great interest in actually learning the language, or even promoting its use etc. So the starts you see appearing in words like "tronslote" and "tronslotion" are part of a warning mechanism. However, you don't get the stars if you use Gaelic, e.g. "e*d*r-the*ng*ch*dh" and so forth.

There's all manner of things that are different when you start l00king at other languages - you must have noticed this even between Dutch and English. Like, if I mind right, you don't usually use a word-for-word tronslotion of "I am going to Groningen tomorrow" if you say it in Dutch, do you? But it would actually be quite similar in Gaelic (Tha mi a' dol a Ghroningen a-màireach) - main differences with English being word order (verb first in Gaelic).

As for "air" and "on", there are places where English uses "on" but Gaelic does not use "air", e.g. if you're talking about the time you spent on a moderately-sized island you might say "I was on Texel" in English, but "Bha mi ann an Texel" (literally "in") in Gaelic: what does Dutch do in this circumstance?

Co-dhiù, fàilte dhan fhòram! Welkom op het forum!
coempa

Unread post by coempa »

Seonaidh wrote:One of the problems faced by any site that operates in a "scarce" language - particularly, e.g., one that is not yet included in tr*nsl*t*.google and so forth - is that it gets swamped with folk asking for tronslotions of odd bits of stuff, e.g. mottos, tattoos or sundry short phrases. And, by and large, such folk have no great interest in actually learning the language, or even promoting its use etc. So the starts you see appearing in words like "tronslote" and "tronslotion" are part of a warning mechanism. However, you don't get the stars if you use Gaelic, e.g. "e*d*r-the*ng*ch*dh" and so forth.
I see what you mean. I thought it'd be something like that, it makes perfect sense.

I've never really thought about Dutch and English, both come naturally and I'm not sure which is my mother's tongue, although I use Dutch more often where live. From Dutch to English and vice versa is also just a matter of word order. 'Tomorrow/morgen' could be placed before or after ' to/naar Groningen', whereas the placement is set in English.
One more thing I find confusing is the word 'tha'. I've seen it used as yes, but also in combination with 'mi' -> ' tha mi', like you just did to explain the Groningen thing to me.

Also, I find it funny how I have to stop myself from saying 'tapadh leibh' whenever I want to thank someone.
Màiri na Coille

coempa wrote:

Also, I find it funny how I have to stop myself from saying 'tapadh leibh' whenever I want to thank someone.
Haha, I've done stuff like that too. My real problem is thinking in Fraelic (French/Gaelic). I started Gaelic first so that when I began French speaking sessions I wanted to say "Tha" every time I was supposed to say "Oui"! But now I'm starting to internalize the French, too, so I start thinking in sentences like "Nuair bha mi petite..." :roll: It's very confusing!