Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Cò thusa? / Introduce yourself
Ionatan
Language Level: Just starting to learn
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread postby Ionatan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Halò, a h-uile duine. Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig le "Can Seo" agus "Speaking Our Language".

It's very early days for me, so please point out my mistakes and make corrections.

PS: Where is the best place to post basic beginner questions so they don't annoy more proficient mebers?

faoileag
Maor

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread postby faoileag » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:28 pm

Fàilte chridheil ort!
A warm welcome to you!

You can post language questions in the Grammar section (any level! "More proficient users" are happy to share what they themselves have learned - we try to help everyone if we can! :-) ), viewforum.php?f=11

and try out things in the bilingual section. viewforum.php?f=2

Ionatan

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread postby Ionatan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Mòran taing!

Thanks for the pointers around this forum. I have seen the "Just do it" thread - so I'll set "just doing it" as a target (if that's ot a contradiction in terms). As for working through "Can Seo", without stating my exact age :naire: , I'd just like to say:

Is toigh leam an cianalas
I love the nostalgia (did I get the right word? - it was a dictionary look up but it also seems to mean sadness so might not be the right nuance)

faoileag
Maor

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread postby faoileag » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:15 pm

Good try, and a correct grammatical sentence. :moladh:

Cianalas is quite a strong word in Gaelic, a mixture of longing for and missing (a time, place, community etc) - used a lot by emigrant Gaels in America etc.
Probably a bit too emotional for this context, unless you miss the seventies dreadfully! :-)
It's also something you feel, not something you observe in a programme or event etc.

You could just use "nostalgia" - a medical coinage, Greek and Latin roots, so not exactly English itself.

OR maybe stick with something simpler like sean-fhasanta - old-fashioned.
Tha e cho sean-fhasanta - 's toigh leam sin!

Ionatan

Halò. Is mise Ionatan.

Unread postby Ionatan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 am

Tapadh leibh airson do chuideachadh
Thank you for your help

My gut feeling was that cianalas might be the wrong word, especially as I am not pining THAT much for the 70s. I'll go with your suggestion (plus a little pronunciation check from the talking dictionary @ LearnGaelic :D and I am very pleased to say I spotted that silent 'fh').

Tha e cho sean-fhasanta - 's toigh leam sin!
Tha Sim a dansa uabhasach math ann am prògram a-sia! (~15:50) :lol: