Cailean?

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
clarsair

Cailean?

Unread post by clarsair »

I've come across several different ways of pronuncing this name, according to various websites and sound files so would be interested to know what the general consensus is.

Thanks.

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: Cailean?

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Consensus not needed. It's a clear-cut case even across dialects: /kalan/ with weak (English) l and weak (English) n and two clear /a/ vowels. It gets messier in the vocative/genitive though: a Chalein! /? xal?N?/ with a palatal /N?/ at the end and the c > ch and /a/ > /?/ change.
horogheallaidh
Maor
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by horogheallaidh »

As akerbeltz says, Cailean is mainly pronounced like Kal-ann - however Sgitheanachs agus Uibhisteachs seem to prefer a sort of Kell-ann instead. Some Irish pals also would say Kay-lan - but I don't go with that one - Kal-ann is good enough for me :)
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

That's be the somewhat unpredictable /a/ ~ /?/ variation. Wouldn't worry about it. Any you're right about the strange Irish thing ;)
Stìophan
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Stìophan »

/'kalan/ is how I pronounce it [both 'a' sounds roughly like English 'cat'] and indeed the way all of the Gaels I have spoken to pronounce it, so I would go with Akerbeltz as well. :priob: