Ann am Beurla no anns a' Bheurla

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
MarcMacUilleim
Language Level: Fluent
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Ann am Beurla no anns a' Bheurla

Unread post by MarcMacUilleim »

Hi,

Bha mi direach a' leaughadh an duilleag-lin seo: https://gd.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Talla_M%C3%B2r far a bheil an labhairt "ann am Beurla". Dh'ionnsaich mise "anns a' Bheurla" / "sa Bheurla".

Ciamar a chanas sibhse e?

M

Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)

Re: Ann am Beurla no anns a' Bheurla

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Your version (anns a' Bheurla) is the traditional way -- the other way is a modern Anglicism.
MarcMacUilleim
Language Level: Fluent

Unread post by MarcMacUilleim »

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.
Seonaidh

Unread post by Seonaidh »

It is, however, worth bearing in mind that languages are dynamic. Just as modern English as she is spoke in the UK has accommodated many "americanisms" or ways of saying things that would not be common a century or so ago, so modern Gaelic does similar. The fact that "sa Bheurla" is "traditionally correct" (and an abbreviation of "anns a' Bheurla"), while "ann am Beurla" is a modernism possibly due to the influence of English (e.g. Englsih would say "in English" rather than "in the English") does not mean it's wrong to use it. Also, if somebody came up to you and asked "How do you say that in the Gaelic?", you might be a little surprised - as it's not the standard English way of putting it - but you would most certainly understand and probably reply without batting an eyelid, let alone pointing out the Heinous Grammatical Error.