Body Parts in the Genitive?

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
caiptean
Language Level: Advanced Beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Body Parts in the Genitive?

Unread post by caiptean »

Hi!

So recently I've been working through Speaking Our Language using Anki to reinforce the vocabulary, and I've gotten to the lesson about body parts. One thing I'm curious about is that they always seem to put the words for neck/throat and knee in the genitive case even though grammatically speaking it seems like it wouldn't be necessary. For instance:

Tha m' amhaich goirt.

Trobhad gus an nigh mi do ghlùin.

Is it just a dialect thing? Or is there some underlying grammar rule at work here of which I'm ignorant?

akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Re: Body Parts in the Genitive?

Unread post by akerbeltz »

They're not in the genitive 8-)
caiptean

Oh dear, that's embarassing >.> I really am stumped then. What am I missing? Is it just spelling conventions? What's with the slenderization? Do enlighten me :D
akerbeltz
Rianaire
Language Level: Barail am broinn baraille
Corrections: Please don't analyse my Gaelic

Unread post by akerbeltz »

Ah I see where you're coming from now. Some words just end in a slender consonant/vowel to begin with. If you hit the Faclair Beag with a Gaelic word, it will show you the dictionary form (also called the root), even if you put in an inflected word so for example if you punch in bhùird, it will tell you the root is bòrd and that it means table etc.

What sometimes CAN be a fly in the ointment is that sometimes native speakers disagree of what's the root. Sometimes a slenderised form becomes so common that people suddenly thing that's the root. So in the case of glùin, technically glùn is the root but many people use glùin as the root.

Bit of a pain for the learner but my advice is to stick to whatever your preferred form is or what your fav dictionary tells you.
An Gobaire
Language Level: Fileanta

Unread post by An Gobaire »

The reason for the slenderisation may be that most of the body parts are feminine, and in traditional Gaelic grammar, feminine nouns slenderised in the prepositional case (definite and indefinite), as well as in the genitive, whereas masculine nouns did not slenderise in the dative/prepositional case.

Perhaps the slenderisation of body parts that you see is a remnant of that where speakers/writers continue to use the old feminine dative/prepositional form? Just a thought though.
Dèan buil cheart de na fhuair thu!
caiptean

Ah I see! I think for the sake of my hairline I'll just stick with what Faclair tells me :P Thank you!
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Níall Beag »

An Gobaire wrote:Perhaps the slenderisation of body parts that you see is a remnant of that where speakers/writers continue to use the old feminine dative/prepositional form? Just a thought though.
Quite possibly. When languages lose cases, it's not uncommon for some words to get frozen in one case form and others to get stuck in a different one, just through frequency of usage. "Taigh", for example, is the old dative case, presumably because people were most used to it in situations such as "in the house" "to the house" etc.
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Quite so. Such forms for areas as "Cataibh" "Archaibh", "Moireibh" and many similar are actually now defunct dative/prepositional plurals.