ann an sùilean cuid (?)

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
arronmark
Language Level: Conversational
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

ann an sùilean cuid (?)

Unread post by arronmark »

Hi all,

I have recently been putting some text and come across a few difficulties and wondered if there were someone out there who could help?

The phrase; ann an sùilean cuid in the sentence; Thòisich e ann an sùilean cuid. Dè a bhitheas e sa Bheurla?

I also have struggled with this phrase; Bha na prìomh rìghrean sa sgìre, aig an robh buntainneas ri Lochlann, stèidhichte ann am Baile Átha Cliath and wondered how one would put that into English? I am confused as to whether 'buntainneas' here is a verb or noun(?)

Mòran taing!
:D

poor_mouse
Language Level: beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Re: ann an sùilean cuid (?)

Unread post by poor_mouse »

Am Faclair Beag
buntainneas /buNdɪNʲəs/
fir. gin. -eis, iol. -an
1 relevance 2 appendage
Chan eil mi cinnteach mu "cuid" (portion etc): in eyes of some people or in some eyes?
Eilidh -- Luchag Bhochd
Níall Beag
Rianaire
Language Level: Fluent (non-native)
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Re: ann an sùilean cuid (?)

Unread post by Níall Beag »

Bha na prìomh rìghrean sa sgìre, aig an robh buntainneas ri Lochlann, stèidhichte ann am Baile Átha Cliath
Let's break the sentence up to start off with. The bit between the commas is parenthetical, so we should first consider the sentence with it missing.

Bha na prìomh rìghrean sa sgìre stèidhichte ann am Baile Átha Cliath
The first kings in the region were based in Dublin.

Now for the parenthetical bit...
aig an robh buntainneas ri Lochlann

The most straightforward tr*nsl*t**n would be "who had links to ..." Hmmm... that's interesting... I've just realised I have no word in English for "the country of the Norsemen". I suppose we could go with "Scandinavia", but it doesn't have the full sense of the word "Lochlann".

Anyhow, that also underplays the fact that the links in question are by descent. A non-literal tr*nsl*t**n would be more like "who were descended from Vikings", but the direct tr*nsl*t**n of "who had links to Vikingland (??)" would be acceptable too.