'S toil/Bu Toil + Verbal Noun

Ciamar a chanas mi.... / How do I say...
AlexAkimov
Language Level: Beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread postby AlexAkimov » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:37 pm

I am looking at a question, and the implication is that one of the following sentences is wrong - or perceived to be "wrong" to someone on Aonad a Naoi of ACI at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig:

Bu toil le mo nighean coimhead air balaich Ross County a’ cluiche ball-coise
Is toil le mo nighean coimhead air balaich Ross County a’ cluiche ball-coise

Now, the first is definitely correct:

Bu toil le mo nighean coimhead air balaich Ross County a’ cluiche ball-coise - My daughter would like to watch Ross County boys playing football

So there must be something up with:

Is toil le mo nighean coimhead air balaich Ross County a’ cluiche ball-coise

My only thought is that they want us to put in "a bhith", however, I thought it worked with AND without i.e.

Is toil le mo nighean coimhead air balaich Ross County a’ cluiche ball-coise - My daughter likes to watch Ross County boys playing football
Is toil le mo nighean a bhith a' coimhead air balaich Ross County a’ cluiche ball-coise - My daughter likes watching Ross County boys playing football

Or am I missing some difference between 'S toil and Bu toil when it comes to dropping a'/ag i.e. is the coimhead after bu toil "to watch", but the coimhead after 's toil is simply the plain verbal noun "watching"?

AlexAkimov
Language Level: Beginner
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread postby AlexAkimov » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:38 am

Ok, I'll answer this, Perhaps it seemed like a trick question, it wasn't. In this week's class the answer was what I expected it would be. As far as SMO are concerned, you use a bhith with 'S toil. You can use it without i.e.

'S toil leam ruith sa choille
'S toil leam a bhith a' ruith sa choille

...are both grammatically correct but the second is seen as more correct/normal.

Don't shoot the messenger.