Looking for help with unknown language

Sgrìobh 'sa Ghàidhlig is Beurla / Write in Gaelic and English
Forum rules
Sgrìobh a h-uile rud gu dà-chànanach / Write everything bilingually
lg15fan

Looking for help with unknown language

Unread post by lg15fan »

Hi everybody!

As I have unfortunatly no idea of Gaelic at all, I - or rather we - would like to ask you for some help. We are fans of the "lonelygirl15"-webseries on http://www.lg15.com and http://www.youtube.com/user/lonelygirl15. One of the characters asked us in the latest video ("A Stranger Calls) for help with cracking a code in the video.

So far we do know that it is a reversed audio from a woman who studied in Edinburgh. But unfortunatly it is in an unknown (at least to us) language. As we have confirmed by the Scottish Language Dictionaries, it is not Scots. They and we are wondering if this language might be Gaelic?! I found your forum on the website of the Gaelic College in Skye. Could you please help us out here? Maybe you could take a minute to listen to the audio of the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b9w3zljRgY
(or a slowed down version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQaimc59h4U)

Is that Gaelic? And if it is, what does it mean? We all would really appreciate your help as we are desperate to know the answer to the puzzle. We are working against the clock and don't know anybody who speaks or knows Gaelic well enough to help us. Thank you so much for your help in advance!!!

*Alasdair*
Language Level: Gu math siubhalachd
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by *Alasdair* »

That definitely isn't Gaelic. Sorry.

I'd say Scandinavian or Eastern European.
lg15fan

Unread post by lg15fan »

Thanks a lot! That was really very helpful - even though disappointing, of course... Great language by the way, and nice forum!
deardron

Unread post by deardron »

It's definitely none of the Scandinavian or Eastern European languages. May be something Finnish or Saami? But to be fair, whether you play it forward or backward, it sounds to me like a reverse speech in both cases.
Gaeilgeoir2008

Unread post by Gaeilgeoir2008 »

I would say Swedish.

I heard the word "Vrijdag"(Friday)

and the verb "parkeren" (to park)

So it could be Dutch or Swedish. :lol:
*Alasdair*
Language Level: Gu math siubhalachd

Unread post by *Alasdair* »

deardron wrote:It's definitely none of the Scandinavian or Eastern European languages. May be something Finnish or Saami? But to be fair, whether you play it forward or backward, it sounds to me like a reverse speech in both cases.
Finnish and Sami are Scandinavian.... Well, in the sense that is where they are spoken.

They are Indo-European to be correct.
deardron

Unread post by deardron »

*Alasdair* wrote:Finnish and Sami are Scandinavian.... Well, in the sense that is where they are spoken.

They are Indo-European to be correct.
If you mean Finnish and Saami, then they are not Indo-European but rather Finno-Ugrian. The term 'Scandinavian languages' is applied only to Swedish/Norwegian/Danish/Faroese/Icelandic, even though not all of them are spoken on the Scandinavian peninsula. And they really are Indo-European.
Neas Olc
Language Level: Briste

Unread post by Neas Olc »

Might be Flemmish. :?
lg15fan

Unread post by lg15fan »

Thank you all for your help!

Turns out, disappointingly, that it was supposed to be Dutch though it was so poorly pronounced that not even the native speakers could recognize it as their mothertongue! Translates into "friday, neighbourhood park, no cameras".

Guess, until they have a language consultant we won't have to solve any more puzzles involving languages...

Thanks again - and maybe see you on lg15.com!
Gaeilgeoir2008

lg15fan wrote:Thank you all for your help!

Turns out, disappointingly, that it was supposed to be Dutch though it was so poorly pronounced that not even the native speakers could recognize it as their mothertongue! Translates into "friday, neighbourhood park, no cameras".
Yeh so I got it right.

I knew I could pick out the words "Vrijdag/Friday" and "parkeren/parks". :lol:

Je hebt zulke mooie Oogen :D Wil je met mij slapen? I'm always the charmer
Een ik kan Nederlands spreken.
Gaeilgeoir2008

lg15fan wrote:Thank you all for your help!

Yeh so I got it right.

I knew I could pick out the words "Vrijdag/Friday" and "parkeren/parks". :lol:
Neas Olc
Language Level: Briste

Unread post by Neas Olc »

Turns out, disappointingly, that it was supposed to be Dutch though it was so poorly pronounced that not even the native speakers could recognize it as their mothertongue!
So I was close when I called it Flemmish... :lol: