uamhraidh (fearful / gloomy)

Cuspairean co-cheangailte ri faclaireachd, Dwelly-d agus am Faclair Beag
Droigheann
Language Level: meadhanach
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread postby Droigheann » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Both AFB and Mark's dictionary have the example expression "guth uamhraidh - fearful voice", and Mark's entry in fact reads "fearfull (full of fear)", which makes me wonder whether the word can be also used for something inducing fear, as in "tubaist uamhraidh - fearful accident" or only for, well, full of fear.

Which of course also makes me wonder about the "gloomy" sense - could "seòmar/cusbair/suidheachadh 7c7c uamhraidh - gloomy room/subject/situation &c&" and "duine uamhraidh - gloomy man" all be used, or is only the latter natural Gaelic and the former unnatural Anglicisms?

An Gobaire
Language Level: Fileanta
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread postby An Gobaire » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:51 am

"àite uamhraidh" sounds fine for "a gloomy fearful place" as far as I can tell - though I am aware of examples using "aognaidh" for gloomy, rather than "uamhraidh". I think it would work fine for a collocation like: "àite uamhraidh, uaigneach"*

As Dwelly, etc. says the word is related to uamh (cave, pit, den) which is probably where the "fearful" meaning comes from, as caves are "fearful" places, and they are also gloomy.

*Perthshire Gaelic has uadhaidh/uamhaidh from uaghaidh for "uamh". It seems to also be used for "sloc". One story in Perthshire Gaelic, they are debating the following: "nì sinn uadhaidh 's cuireas sinn fon talamh e gus am bàsaich e an sin" - "we'll make a hole and put him under the ground until he dies there."
Dèan buil cheart de na fhuair thu!