Pròiseact nan Eilean doomed?

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
faoileag
Maor

Pròiseact nan Eilean doomed?

Unread post by faoileag »

This seems to be the case according to a front-page article in the WHP (24 June) - Gaelic Arts Agency Hit by Funding Bombshell.

The agency, based in Stornoway, has a long list of worthwhile and highly-respected initiatives (e.g. the Leabhar Mòr) and ongoing support (e.g. to the Fèisean, Ceòlas) on its books, and is the only Western Isles-based official group of its kind - most Highland organisations are based in Inverness, and Arts ones down south. The implication is that Creative Scotland thinks the funding will do more good in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and Bord na Gàidhlig can look after its own patch (from Inverness).

All not yet confirmed but looking likely...

Gràisg
Rianaire
Language Level: Caran robach sna laithean seo

Re: Pròiseact nan Eilean doomed?

Unread post by Gràisg »

The front page article should be read in conjunction with Brian Wilson's column. Judge for yourselves if his spin on the issue is just simply too vicious and nakedly politically orientated or whether he makes sense. Myself, I don't really have any time for him but I've read his column three times today.
He starts:
"Bord na Gaidhlig met in the western Isles this week for the first time since its inception in 2006 . Maybe it would have been a good idea to get there sooner since I doubt if the Gaelic landscape has improved in the intervening period. The census figures are unlikely to make cheerful reading."
He says quite a lot, and bits of it will resonate or not with some or none of us. Just one other crumb I'd like to quote:
"It is an unfortunate truth that the more organisations Gaelic has spawned, the less grassroots campaigning there seems to be for basic rights."

Are we now in a situation where we leave it all to Bòrd na Gàidhlig and the salaried professionals in the other organisations? Do community initiatives have a place in Saoghal na Gàidhlig and is anyone listened too? Is it all top down to the community, à la delivery of mobheurla.com for example and if it is, does anyone care?
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Oh Gully-poos, an urrainn dhut link a thoirt seachad? Sin e, chun an artagail san WHP?
Gràisg
Rianaire

Unread post by Gràisg »

's ann air culaibh balla-phàigheadh a tha a h-uile càil a tha seo mura a bheil pios craobh-marbh air do bheulaibh :D
Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Unread post by Seonaidh »

What the Hell Press! Bloody balla-pàighidh? An e Rupert MacMhurchaidh an sealbhadair?
Gràisg
Rianaire

Unread post by Gràisg »

Tuilleadh sa phàipear bheag an diugh. Chìthear litir bho Art agus Colbh MhicUilleim fhathast gu math cruaidh air Bòrd na Gàidhlig.
Gràisg
Rianaire

Unread post by Gràisg »

agus fhathast a' dol sa phaipear bheag...