'Linguistic diversity' in major European language study

Na tha a' tachairt ann an saoghal na Gàidhlig agus na pàipearan-naidheachd / What's happening in the Gaelic world and the newspapers
faoileag
Maor

'Linguistic diversity' in major European language study

Unread post by faoileag »

A major multilingual study across Europe into the teaching and learning of foreign languages in schools has come up with some predictable but worth-reiterating findings.

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/about/news ... tenceshtml

For example:
The Survey shows that it's essential to base language teaching on effective communication skills and not just on grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. The results have highlighted the importance of teaching language as a means of communication, not just an academic subject.
2. Language policies should address the creation of language-friendly living and learning environments inside as well as outside schools and other educational institutions. Language policies should promote informal learning opportunities outside school, and consider the exposure to language through traditional and new media, including the effects of using dubbing or subtitles in television and cinemas. Overall, language policy should support that people in general, and young people in particular, feel capable of language learning and see it as useful.
One to remember for Gaelic....
5. While all languages are not equally relevant when entering the labour market, linguistic diversity remains vitally important for cultural and personal development. Therefore, the need to improve language skills for employability in a globalised world must be combined with the promotion of linguistic diversity and intercultural dialogue.

This one is a LONG way from fulfilment this side of the English Channel, even in Scotland (and Wales and Ireland):
.....pursuing the Barcelona objective of teaching and mastering at least two foreign languages from a very early age

Seonaidh
Corrections: I'm fine either way

Re: 'Linguistic diversity' in major European language study

Unread post by Seonaidh »

Gu mi-fhortanach, chan e "foreign language" a th' anns a' Ghàidhlig. No co-dhiù a' Chuimris. No fiù 's a' Bheurla. 'S dòcha gur e Beurla nan Stàitean tè...
Thrissel
Language Level: eadar-mheadhanach

Unread post by Thrissel »

faoileag wrote:This one is a LONG way from fulfilment this side of the English Channel, even in Scotland (and Wales and Ireland):
.....pursuing the Barcelona objective of teaching and mastering at least two foreign languages from a very early age
Inntinneach. I doubt I could name more than a dozen, two dozen at the very best, people I personally know in the Czech Republic who have "mastered" at least one foreign language to the point to which I have "mastered" Gaelic. (Unless we count in Slovak, but that would be like an Aberdonian claiming he mastered Cockney...)
EowynAnduin
Corrections: Please correct my grammar

Unread post by EowynAnduin »

Thrissel wrote:
faoileag wrote:This one is a LONG way from fulfilment this side of the English Channel, even in Scotland (and Wales and Ireland):
Inntinneach. I doubt I could name more than a dozen, two dozen at the very best, people I personally know in the Czech Republic who have "mastered" at least one foreign language to the point to which I have "mastered" Gaelic. (Unless we count in Slovak, but that would be like an Aberdonian claiming he mastered Cockney...)
We have two official languages here in Canada, English and French. It is few and far between how many master both languages. The closer you are to a French speaking region of the country the more likely. We have immersion programs that work fantastically and are doing the job from very young ages. Although the majority of the country does not have both official languages.

Many of the people have two languages. Their native tongue and then English as a second language. Those that do live in Quebec may have three, Native tongue, French and English.